1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Upper Deck?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was playing T-League back in 1979, we would get tickets after the game that were worth $1 at the snack bar. The first year, every game, I would get four packs of cards at 25 cents each and I remember being livid the following year when the price went up to 30 cents and I could only get three with the ticket.

It's a tremendous hobby that sadly, has been ruined...

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A set of baseball cards are what... 600 cards?

That's what, $50 if I get no doubles with my 25/2.00 rule? So it would be about $100 for me to do a complete set. That is about my limit.

I can buy my daughter 20-25 books for that money.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As a card collector I can honestly say that pained me to death too. You gotta tell the kids about collecting the sets. I never sell any cards, but part of the thrill is going back a few years later when a hot star breaks out and you realize you have a few of his rookies.

Too many game-used cards with white jersey swatches? Pass.

Too many nondescript inserts like "Power Sluggers"? Pass.

Give me quality inserts like game-used pants from Joe Cronin or a game-used patch from Bob Gibson and I'm impressed. I still buy cards, but I can tell you it's not the same.

4. Mizzougrad96

I have every Topps set from 1980-1991 that I put together myself. When I was younger, before I was going to card shows all the time, it would be tough to do at times. I remember in 1981 having to trade a Schmidt and a Carlton for a Rick Cerone and Jim Bibby, because I could not for the life of me, no matter how many packs I bought, I could not find either card. Asshole down the street knew how badly I was looking for both and ripped me off... ;D

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember begging, pleading for $5 to buy a Grace rookie. Still have 1,000 cards or so sitting in my parents' place. Only one or two sets. May unload at some point to clear out space.

6. Mizzougrad96

I have so many cards (tens of thousands) from 1987-1991 and sadly almost none are worth the cardboard they're printed on. There are rookie cards of guys who will be in the HOF that are barely worth $10-$20. There are complete sets that aren't worth $20.

I don't know if I would blame UD for downfall of collecting. But it was the really expensive sets like Stadium Club and Fleer Ultra that kind of ruined it for me. I think the insert cards really got going about 1990, because I remember Fleer had a Rookie Sensations insert with Bagwell and Frank Thomas that everybody was trying to get. A few years later, no one cared about the regular cards anymore.

7. 93Devil

It was because you could never figure out if the Jeter rookie in your hand was the real Jeter rookie.

Too. Damn. Confusing.

8. Mizzougrad96

Exactly... I remember with Jeter and Piazza I couldn't figure out what was their rookie card and what wasn't and then finding out that the actual rookie card was one that nobody could have bought anywhere other than a card show or a card shop.

It takes the fun out of it.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't know what made collecting not fun, but what made it not profitable was a whole generation realizing their cards would have been worth a ton if they'd held onto them and forcing their kids to be more careful.

Of course, the reason the old cards were so valuable is because they were rare because nobody thought to hold on to them.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I loved the Upper Deck Decade of the 70's set that came out a few years ago. For a kid that started collecting cards in the 70's it was awesome.
    Game-used cards, limited print runs and professional grading (sorry Mizzou) killed the hobby. All the sudden buying packs of cards became like buying a lottery ticket. And graded cards...I can look at a card and tell if it is mint or not. I don't need to pay someone $10 to put it in a fancy holder and slap a number on it.

11. 93Devil

Yep, Banks.

Oh my Montana is better than your Montana because of that rounded corner and the cut line.

And you see right there, CSI Topps came out and did a fingerprint analysis. You ate some M&M's before touching this card. You were an idiot for actually enjoying the card like a normal kid.

12. Mizzougrad96

I actually agree about professional grading, but if you want to sell a card on eBay, you can make a fortune if the card is professionally graded, especially if it's an older card.

I had a 1985 Donruss Clemens that was perfect and cards from that set are never perfect because of the black borders. But I bought about 30 Clemens cards the day after he struck out 20 and this card had gone straight from the pack into a frame. At the time the card was selling for $40 and after I got it graded as a 10, I sold it for $100.

Draft saved Draft deleted