1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ultimate Warrior

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Apr 8, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Damn. Still hard to believe the guy just dropped dead the day after his appearance on Raw and a few days after his induction speech. Definitely surreal. Wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I really enjoyed his days in the WWF. RIP

Also, it's depressing that as a journalist, my first instinct these days is to question the validity of the report. But given the fairly recent phenomenon of wanting to get it first rather than getting it right, that's where I am. Also find it interesting that TMZ is one of the few outlets to offer any new information.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Warrior was batshit crazy. That explains a lot. He once starred in a self-published comic book in which he raped Santa Claus.

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/warrior-xmas/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As stunning as Warrior's death is, it's almost as stunning that he was the first (well, technically the second) member of the dysfunctional 2014 WWE Hall of Fame class to die. Five years ago, I doubt anyone would've thought Scott Hall and Jake Roberts would outlive Warrior.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my money would have been on Hall.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm talking about during a very specific time in their careers, the late '80s-early '90s. Overall, it's Hulk by a mile. But when Warrior blew up in the late '80s, everyone in the company knew he was the biggest star in the world.

By 1990, Hogan's shtick had started to get stale, and he was out of WWE within three years, during which he'd show up every now and then and disappear for large chunks of time. In fact, if Hogan hadn't turned heel in 1995, he would've faded into irrelevance in short order. It's a testament to him that he was able to revive himself like that.

Warrior should've been the top guy during that whole time, but he couldn't sustain it. The guys who really benefited from Hogan's fade in the long run were Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, and maybe Kevin Nash and Scott Hall.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think I missed these screeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4ZTcuhixc#t=90

Edit: That is seriously some of the funniest shtick I've ever seen.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

DDP should not only be inducted into the Hall of Fame, he should get a 30 for 30 special.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I dunno - They both seem to be of the Keith Richards mold, where if they were going to die from an overdose, it probably would have happened by now. It's weird, Warrior always had the steroid rumors and seemed unhinged mentally, but you didn't hear stories on shoots or read about him ingesting massive piles of cocaine. Living on the road like they did in the 80s and 90s couldn't have been good for anyone, but Warrior also had far less of an in-ring career than others of that era, between his absences and quick matches.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He's definitely getting enshrined, between the in-ring career and how loved he is out of the ring. I'm not sure how much credit he should get for the yoga stuff. I think it's more that he's a personable son of a bitch, and that with his background in the sport makes it an easier sell for recovery for those guys.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I dunno. Watch that E:60 from a few years ago on Scott Hall. He was more than halfway through death's door.

The biggest tragedies to me were the Von Erichs. Especially Kerry.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's an amazing story. He's probably the biggest reason Jake the Snake is still around.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I know there's been much written about that family, but it seems to be begging for one more all-in longform extravaganza. Actually, the whole of World Class Championship Wrestling would make a fascinating documentary/book/Grantland-style feature, giving the tragedies that took place during and after their run. I know WWE did a DVD, but something with a little more oomph.

Draft saved Draft deleted