1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Uga VII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

And for 10 points, his name is........
    See how quickly they forget. LOL

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Isaiah Crowell had the Bulldog puppy. RIP UGA, you'll be missed.

But anyway...Bulldogs have a whole, awful raft of genetic problems. Their hearts especially are rife with problems. We've done a much better job of developing, via selective breeding, much hardier breeds. The bulldog is a mistake.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Second best mascot in the country.

The only reason I never got a Bulldog was this. They don't live long.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What the hell is happening to these dogs? My god.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a loyal lover of Smokey, I tip my hate to UGA as the second coolest mascot. I dig it how they put out a bag of ice for him to lay on when it's hot.

I was as Neyland Stadium in 91 when Smokey VI suffered heat exhaustion during a game with UCLA. He later died. Terry Donahue was bitching after the game because the EMTs were working with Smokey trying to help him and one of his players hurt his little knee or something. Yeah, fuck you Donahue.

Tennessee keeps track of various Smokey's W-L record. Smokey VI had three SEC championships before passing away. His grandson, Smokey VIII won the 98 national championship.

RIP UGA VII.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Many of the reader comments agree with me that this is a problem. Makes me want to reconsider my position. Here's a sampling of the best:

RIP Little buddy.

But seriously…. what is the deal Sonny Seiler???

Before all the Techies jump on here and tell us the dogs are inbred, can we get an explanation as to what is going on to have these dogs so unhealthy??

I know they are a breed very prone to illness at a young age, but the last two Sonny has designated full time mascot have not lasted a full season.

Very sad news, and my condolences to the Seilers. While Uga is our mascot, he is also their pet. But maybe PETA is looking more and more correct…….

GO DAWGS!!

What is wrong with that breeding line? It may be time to introduce some new genes.

not to be disrespectful here, but i think it’s time for a new bloodline. these poor dogs are dying too fast. the inbreeding keeps the uga “tradition” alive, but it doesn’t keep the dogs alive.

Folks, Uga VIII had lymphoma, Uga VII died of heart failure…these are not significant risks of in-breeding. The first six generations of Ugas lived long and healthy lives. The Seilers know what they are doing, don’t try to armchair dog breed as they mourn the loss of a family pet.

English bulldogs are not very good bulldogs in my opinion. I think we should take the opportunity to get a real, working bulldog, either a Pit or perhaps even better–and AMERICAN bulldog. American bulldogs are much stronger, and they are actually capable of catching something.

We have a one year old English Bulldog. He can do 2 1/2 miles in 85 degree heat and run the last 1/2 mile. He is a bit leggier and very athletic. Our vet says this is the way bulldogs should be bred. I think we should have UGA IX tryouts. My bulldog could run across Sanford Stadium with the cheerleaders the way UGAs of the 80’s did before every game. Bulldogs can be great and healthy animals if they are bred right! My bulldog isn’t white though he is brindle and beautiful! Oh Well…..

7. T. Petty

T. Petty New Member

So, the Bulldogs broke a few bulldogs' hearts.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sends his condolences.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a really cool camera shot during the closing credits of the Georgia-Tennessee game last season. Just a quick cut of Smokey and UGA standing face to face and sniffing each other's noses. It was adorable.
    Of course, leave it to SEC fans to find a way to corrupt that precious moment ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Overestimating the value of new recruits is something of a tradition for Georgia football.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Since that Star Wars dude lost out on the mascot contest at Ole Miss, he should put in an application with UGA.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Story got passed on to me by my attorney, who has worked on a case or two with the guy who owns the Uga line.
    Clint Eastwood was in Savannah, scouting the city before shooting "Midnight" and was in Sonny Seiler's office. Said he wanted to meet the dog. Sonny calls his wife, tells her to bring the dog down to the office.
    A few minutes later, in trots Uga whatever (don't know, don't care, can't stand University of Georgia. So there.). Clint and the dog are getting along famously.
    Eastwood leans down to the dog and says, "Uga, I'm going to make you a star."
    Mrs. Seiler's response?
    "Mr. Eastwood, Uga is already a star."
    FWIW, my attorney is a season ticket holder. At Georgia Tech.

Draft saved Draft deleted