1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tyler Skaggs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Having gone through a situation where losing a family member (in my case four) instantly and shockingly, it's the worst possible feeling there is. There is no way to describe it other than it's like a nuclear bomb has gone off in the middle of your life. It's beyond comprehension.

And as CLong has pointed out, the franchise really has been hit hard over the many years.

Vombatus and HanSenSE like this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As soon as got the news, and the circumstances and the way it was delivered, I figured this was akin to the Darryl Kile death in 2002. A damn shame: By all accounts, he was very likable, and, while having his struggles at times this year, he seemed like he was going to put it all together at some point. I mean, he was still just 27.

Not that my feelings are comparable to the family, teammates and friends who knew these players so well, but as a lifetime Angels fan, I've been dealing with this shit way too often. I first started following baseball in 1976, and I started picking up some baseball cards whenever my mom would let me get something at the 7-Eleven. First pack, and my first Angels card was Mike Miley. Chris Long mentioned him earlier, but he was a big-time QB at LSU, but signed with the Angels after college. I started watching for any mention of him in 1976, and he did get called up late in the season for a few games. Then I read the Angels had him pegged to be the starting shortstop in '77, so I was really excited about seeing him, all because he was my first Angels baseball card. Of course, during the offseason, I got up one morning and found out he was killed in a car accident.

Of course, about a year and a half later, we had the Lyman Bostock death, and 30 years later, there was Nick Adenhart. Both deaths still bother me because they were both so damn senseless.

And today, here we go again. My expectations for the Angels season weren't really sky-high for this year, but now I'm just hoping they can get through the rest of the season unscathed. And I hope the Skaggs family (his dad actually operates a batting-cage facility in my area) can perservere.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just awful ;(

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Nice tribute

Vombatus likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

Good for him. When my mother died suddenly, people couldn’t believe I went and covered two events in the next few days. It was the only way I could take my mind off it and not break down.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Any solid info on the cause of death yet?

I saw a post from his widow that seemed to indicate they were pointing at cardiac arrest as the culprit?

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Its all speculation until they release the coroner's report. Tragic. So young.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When my sister and her family were killed suddenly, I went into an instant mode of protecting the rest of the family, mainly my mom and dad, and being out front as the front person and to keep everyone away from them/us and I would take the hits. Not that it was the best for me, but for the rest of my family, it was, and I have zero regrets about that. They are in a position I am too familiar with and it's not good. But I'm certain the Angels and MLB have surrounded them with the right folks to help them because it's a dark, lonely, desolate place, despite all of the outpouring.

maumann and Vombatus like this.
  10. CD Boogie

God bless your family and his.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted