1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Trapper John, M.D. (TV Version)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jan 25, 2010.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only person to remember that show. Hershel Bernardi as Arnie, of course.

20-point bonus question: At what company did Arnie work? (no fair Googling.)

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It had to do with flange or something.

Continental Flange? My grandpa thinks it is, since he watched Arnie. I had to ask him tonight.

3. D-3 Fan

Speaking of Bernardi, didn't he play Jacobi on Peter Gunn? I remember watching that series in college on one of the old Starz mystery channel.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Your grandpa gets the points.

5. D-3 Fan

Damn straight he does. He knows as much t.v. as I do. His ears perked up when I asked him about Hamilton Majors. He never forgot the name!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

An early victim of what later became known as "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome," when a character departs a TV series, never returns for visits home and, in fact, is never referred to again.

Another early victim - Mike Douglas (Tim Considine) on "My Three Sons."

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I remembered the show. It was the rage at my high school because the girl who played his daughter -- Stephanie Steele -- was a classmate.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Not to be confused with "Ted McGinley Syndrome," that peculiar malady that means you can start polishing your resume as soon as Mr. McGinley joins your cast.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

LOL, that's very true. :D

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was ironic that while Trapper John (played by Pernell Roberts) looked absolutely nothing like Trapper John (played by Wayne Rogers) would have looked like 20 years later, he did look passably like what B.J. Hunnicutt could have looked like in the late 1970s.

Trapper John, 1951-52, Korea
    [​IMG]

Trapper John, 1979-82, San Francisco
    [​IMG]

B.J. Hunnicutt, 1952-53, Korea (fictional hometown, San Francisco).
    [​IMG]

Not to mention, the personality of Trapper John as played by Roberts: gruff, stern, buttoned-down, etc etc, was nothing like the Trapper John of M*A*S*H (even given 20 years of maturing, cynicism, etc etc), while it was plausibly like the character of Hunnicutt could have been.

It's like they sat down and started to write a series about "B.J. Hunnicutt 20 years later," and at the last minute decided to change it back to Trapper John.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Times obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/arts/television/26roberts.html?hpw

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's to bad they killed off Henry Blake. I think his character would have been a fabulous post war sitcom.

Draft saved Draft deleted