1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Toys R Us?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 10, 2018.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I fucking love that.

Now I need one of a koala jumping of the top turnbuckle to pile drive another koala.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Open a Dominos. They pretty much pioneered that pizza model.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking like Applebees. There is a market somewhere between take-out pizza and Chinese, fast food and the Blue Aprons.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I have read about places in New York that are delivery only. They are supposed to be medium level, I guess, and just save on storefront and stuff.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

After pretty much killing retail stores, Amazon is now opening some. SMH. Bookstores next?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It does have a handful of them, although they function more as pickups/dropoffs.

Amazon Books - Wikipedia

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Amazon has 50 percent of online retail. There is no place to go there for them.

Bricks and mortar retail still has a huge market, though, and will likely continue to. There are people who like the experience, want to go in and try on their clothes, see how it looks on them in a mirror. Even with the boost of the pandemic, online retail is still what, only 15 percent of all sales?

Retail analysts have been suggesting for years that Amazon has to do this to try to keep growing. It's abundantly clear now that it is a good formula, though, because Target, for example, has been killing it with a dual bricks and mortar / online business.

The problem is that Amazon came to dominate online retail for a reason. It's all about the value proposition, things like ease of finding things, prices, fast shipping, one-stop shopping, etc.

And it's not entirely clear that Amazon stores are going to have any advantage, or be able to offer anything in terms of value that draws people that Gap or Target or H&M or Nordstrom and others don't offer. If anything, the general consensus is that Whole Foods has gone a bit downhill since Amazon took it over with a similar strategy.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Heard Al Sharpton is buying Toys R Us and renaming it We B Toys.

PaperDoll likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think Amazon knows the breakup hammer is coming for them and they need to diversify.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This sounds plausible. I think that Facebook and Google see it coming as well. The question is how effectively they can fight it. Apple seems to have done so effectively recently. Between the desire of politicians for money and their fear that if they oppose these big corps that money will fund an opponent, they have tons of leverage.

How the Apple lobbying machine took on Georgia, and won

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Amazon's corporate structure was developed from the ground-up with the idea that it could one day be Ma Bell'd into oblivion by the gub'mint so I think it will do just fine when the silos are finally separated. Amazon Publishing/Audible, AWS, FBA, Merchant Services, Retail/Whole Foods are basically separate structures that can be severed and thrive alone.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted