1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP "Toy Cannon" Jimmy Wynn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Mar 26, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Saw him play as an Astro and as a Dodger. Imagine if he hadn't played in the two largest ballparks in the National League.

Astros great Jimmy Wynn dies at 78

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I thought the only Toy Cannon highlight I'd find is Joe Ferguson cutting in front of him to nail Sal Bando at the plate in the '74 World Series. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to find these (with the added bonus of Harry Kalas calling the shot in Pittsburgh:

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Better OPS at home than in the road and if you double his road HRs for his career he ends up with 308.

I get what you are saying about the parks, but he must have really liked home cooking.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In '74 I had graduated, but had yet to land a full-time job. My brother had just been discharged from the Navy. We went to maybe 70 Dodgers games that summer. Sat in the left-field pavilion -- parking $2, tickets $1.50. We were in the stadium for $5 total (that number rose considerably once we reached the beer and Dodger Dog lines).
    Jimmy Wynn was our favorite and we had an unofficial "Toy Cannon Fan Club." Another memory -- the usher in our section was named Lee Lacy (same name as the player). My brother would always yell, "Hey, Lacy, get back out there on second base."

Watched Johnny Carson one night and he had on that softball pitcher, Rosie Black, from The Queen And Her Court. They were talking about how great she was and how she could strike out even major league baseball players. Out strides the Toy Cannon and she pitched to him. He flailed helplessly at a couple of pitches (heh heh). On the third, he hit the snot out of it, the ball went up and broke some light fixtures that rained down on the stage. COMMERCIAL BREAK!!

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Used to go to every Yankees Opening Day (caps please) starting 1976. Saw the Toy Cannon homer to dead center 1977 -- his last ML HR it turns out. Oh, for the days of classic nicknames -- Dick "Dirt" Tidrow, Ron "Gator" Guidry, Catfish Hunter, Sparky Lyle.

6. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

The BP cage was IN THE FIELD OF PLAY. God, I wish I'd been around to see that.

matt_garth likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted