1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Tony Persichilli

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Reuben Frank, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

http://www.trentonian.com/article/20121024/NEWS01/121029770/former-trentonian-columnist-tony-persichilli-dies-at-59

Worked for the two Trenton papers since at least the early 1980s after starting out in the late 1970s at the Burlington County Times, just south of Trenton.

Great guy and a talented writer who really understood the rhythm of life in Trenton and was never happier than when he was writing about the people and places in his beloved hometown. Just had a terrific feel for the city and its unique mix of cultures and communities.

Shame he was best-known for one unfortunate headline. Tony was a good newspaper man.

59 is way too young. RIP, Tony Perch.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Ruben, thank you for starting this, I was going to do the same thing.

He was a class guy and one of the best guys to have around in the newsroom.

He truly loved his hometown of Trenton and decade-plus at The Times (of Trenton) his Saturday columns were a fantastic slice of local life and the local sports scene. He loved writing high school sports.

One thing I should have asked him, but never did, was how did a guy born and raised in Trenton become a Cleveland Browns fan?

After moving over to the Trentonian, he didn't write the infamous "Roasted Nuts" headline, but I heard he was in charge of the desk that night and as a result agreed to take the fall for it.

3. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

From my neighborhood ... literally around the corner from Kramer's. Exceptional writer and person. And Trenton needs all the good people it can get.
    RIP

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. Guy took one for the team.

5. Another good guy lost.

John, I had no idea you were from The Burg!

http://topofthecircle.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/oct-25-2012-anthony-persichilli-1953-2012/

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I sat in his seat at the 'tonian for 5 years. Heard all the stories. He was a well-liked man.

See ya in the Great Beyond, Tony.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

His funeral was supposed to be yesterday but due to Sandy got postponed.

On Facebook somebody posted "Only a sports writer would have his funeral rained out"

Draft saved Draft deleted