1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tony Gwynn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 16, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I knew this already, but when Will Clark kicks it, a hole is going to open up in the earth and beckon him to the depths.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If Deadspin, the one place dedicated to tearing down myths about nice guy athlete b.s., is willing to run a lengthy piece about what a first class guy you were, seems like there's a good chance you actually were a first class, no bullshit. I actually got a little bit teary reading that piece. A little human decency if the face of so many assholes goes a hell of a long way. Any there is nothing cheesy about longing for it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-tearfully-remembers-tony-gwynn-1591925235?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Hadn't seen this posted. Keith Olbermann speaks about Gwynn.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That was a tight fucking piece of writing and oratory. As tight and emotional and raw as it gets.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It really was excellent, but after I finished it I realized that as good as it was, it was as much about KO as about Gwynn. Par for the course.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

8. Yeah, that was the another take from the story.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I imagine Olbermann was also stuck by Gwynn's death as he had a close call with pipe tobacco and cigars, I believe.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it doesn't bother me in this case. I see nothing wrong with giving some personal contest in a piece like that.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tony Gwynn might be the closest thing to Ted Williams as we've seen in the last 50 years. Not the same power, but the same dedication to learning how to be a great hitter, and then working to be even better.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

KO used to smoke cigars but said he gave them up cold turkey after Peter Jennings died.

Draft saved Draft deleted