1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tony Gwynn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 16, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And millions of non-smokers will never understand smokers' obsession with cigarettes. It's the nature of addiction.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I agree - and I never will get it. I stand behind smokers asking for a specific pack of Marlboros at the gas station and it makes no sense to me. As if they're asking for a "cancer free" pack of 20 nails.

I don't get it. I just know I grew up associating cigarettes with oxygen tanks, holes in the throat, black lungs and a horrible death.

That being said, God Bless you, smokers! If not for you, my taxes would be higher and Social Security would have gone belly up in 1972.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I have little to no sympathy for addicts because an addiction began with a choice to do whatever - smoke cigarettes, snort coke, smoke crack or pot, etc - the first time.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is neither the time, nor the place for that discussion.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Somebody was already asking who San Diego State hires to replace Gwynn, but this is the point you question?

It sounds cold, but what is a better time to have a real discussion about that particular addiction than now, when we have lost somebody like Gwynn to it. He wasn't just an amazing player. He was beloved. And it ticks me off that he died way too damn young.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I hit 54 in a few weeks, so this hits home too.

What I find amazing is, that the Copenhagen, Skoal, ect., is out there on the table, freebie, along with the seeds and gum and stuff. Beer and other forms of booze are already outlawed in many clubhouses (save postseason champagne, of course), but the spit tobacco is out there?

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Never a good time for this discussion but this is a decent point.

I think we can all agree that we liked Tony Gwynn, as a player and as a person. Some of us loved him - how he conducted himself on the field and with us.

If there is any good that comes from losing a good guy at only age 54, it's the danger this crap leads to with some people.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Not exactly -- MLB banned the teams from distributing tobacco in 2011 as part of the labor deal. Players aren't allowed to have a can showing in their uni pockets and can't dip during TV interviews, or risk being fined. Clubbies are "discouraged" from getting tobacco for players but that isn't expressly banned.

9. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I remember watching a game, years ago, where Tony hit a solo homer. Back in the dugout, his teammates were high-fiving him and Gwynn was shaking his head, mad at himself. Apparently not where he wanted to hit the ball. Mets guys on the radio put his .338 lifetime average in perspective. "Do you realize he would've had to have gone O for two seasons to be a lifetime .299 hitter." Truly one of the greats and gone way too soon. R.I.P.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is fantastic.

One day, one of the bat boys showed up wearing an earring. Bright gold and massive. The Giants were in town. During batting practice, Will Clark walked by and sneered, "Nice earring, faggot." The words were stunning, but we knew we had to react like it was no big thing. Word must've gotten around, though, because before the next game, Tony walked back to the locker room area with Bip Roberts and performed an entire routine for us. They had evidently practiced it during batting practice. They stood lecturing us, using every "how to talk like an older white guy" cliché in the book. "Now listen, son," Tony started, stopping periodically to catch his breath, as he was laughing too hard. "You're bringing down the team here, with that earring." "Very, very unprofessional," Bip added, haughtily. They walked away, howling with laughter, the point made: Will Clark was a dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted