1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: "Tony Dungy Can't Win the Big One"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 4, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, it was certainly an affront to all the successful Devil-worshipping football coaches out there.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm really not sure why anyone's offended by what Dungy said. It's hardly preaching. Some of you seem to think anytime anyone acknowledges being Christian, he's trying to convert you or force his religion on you. While that happens, I don't think that's the case here.

3. I find it hypocritical that no one criticizes Manning for thanking the Devil for allowing him to sell his soul ... ;D

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's why the hooded sweatshirt blew him off two weeks ago.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

tony was not preaching that his way is the only way or even the best way. the way of tony and lovie is to show that there is an alternative to the lombardi/belichick/parcells way.

that the kinder, gentler, softer way can get it done, too. amen to that.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When he said the win was a validation of playing and coaching "the right way," it wasn't religion that Dungy was talking about. I think he was speaking about not being an epic dick to players and coaches and the media, about not being a Bill Belichick.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have entertained that possibility

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As have I but he talked about them together. Christian coaches who do things the right way. That tends to tie them together but doesn't mean it is necessarily so.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If somebody gives thanks to their family, it's touching.

If somebody gives thanks to God, it pisses people off.

Never understood that.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You send that many men after Rambo, you better not forget one thing.

What's that?

A good supply of BODY BAGS!

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Congrats to Dungy. As a Vikings fan, I'm happy he got to a Super Bowl and got a Super Bowl victory. I just wish he'd have stayed with the Vikings and coached them to a SB/victory. Dungy has done a lot of good things and this is a just reward for him.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Me neither, though I suppose if you see it enough, you roll your eyes when you hear the line. Bottom line, good for Dungy. Former member of the Steel Curtain has always been a class act. Always great to see guys like that win.

Draft saved Draft deleted