1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: "Tony Dungy Can't Win the Big One"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not arguing with you (nor am I agreeing). But we are all allowed to have different views on what is the right way.
    I'm not much on in your face religion but Dungy's remark doesn't bother me.

2. God has no place at the Super Bowl.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

This thread, which started out in praise of Tony Dungy, will not end well.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Perhaps it was the parlay with Irsay's comments.

I do think that Dungy's quote is quite judgemental, but I'll sleep on it.

5. Moderator1

For Christians, he does.
    Now if he'd said it was God's will they'd won, I'd think another way. I don't think either of them said anything like that.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wasn't bothered by it. I thought it was set up by Nantz talking about how the Indy PR guy said he had only heard Dungy say "Damn" once as in "I will not be appearing on a show called 'Best Damn Sports Show.'"
    I was more taken aback by Solomon Wilcots calling Hoody out by praising Lovie for having the class to have a conversation with him after the loss.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

you're certainly entitled to it

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

As an agnostic deep thinker: no problem with Dungy's comment.

Most Christian philosphies about right/wrong - big picture stuff ,not the homosexual shit - is fairly easy to parallel with morality thtt is based on how it affecs other people (secular def. of right/wrong)l

9. To the victors go the spoils ...

Added later for clarity: He can thank David Letterman if he wants ... why not God?

10. Sorry, but I tuned in for a football game, not Gospel Hour with Tony Dungy. I'm all for teams believing in God and religion, and I'm happy for the Colts and Bears if that's how they excel on and off the field. But don't bombard us with the "only way" or "best way" crap. It's like Dungy is gloating, it cheapens his message.

11. Moderator1

I don't think he was gloating OR bombarding. It was tossed out as part of a bigger answer and he meant it that being a Christian was important to him. Again, as a non-Christian, I can accept that just fine. He didn't do any soapbox type of thing.

12. Yeah, not like he was passing out pamphlets on the podium asking Jim Nantz what are his plans for the afterlife ...

Draft saved Draft deleted