1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tony Curtis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Sep 30, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Farewell, you great big Leslie you....

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

ding! ding! ding! can't confirm that's true but that is the explanation i remember reading...

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i can't believe greg giraldo is getting more kudos on here than tony curtis. guess it's a generational thing.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I immediately thought of Tony Curtis the other day when Eddie Fisher died. I guess it was the actress daughter, well-known ex-wife thing.

I'll always remember him in "Some Like It Hot," one of the great comedies of all time.

RIP, Tony.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't doubt for a minute the story is true, but . . . what's the hurry?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Paging Leigh Montville.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, it was called "The Persuaders."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Persuaders!

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Yonda lies da castle of my fodda.

RIP

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, my bad. It was a good show.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I didn't say it was unheard of, just not as common.

And I was actually thinking of Leigh McCloskey, aka Lucy Ewing's husband on "Dallas."

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I had the opportunity to see him in a stage performance of Some Like It Hot half a dozen years ago. Of course, he didn't play his original role. Instead he played Osgood, the deliverer of the eternal, "Well, nobody's perfect." It wasn't Curtis at his finest, of course. By that time he was nearly 80, his timing was off and his energy sapped. But still, there was Tony Curtis, one of the most iconic actors of a long-past film era. It seemed wrong for him to be on stage while strangers delivered lines I remembered him saying, but it was still something of a thrill. It was kind of like seeing Robert Goulet in Las Vegas when I was younger. It seemed insincere for him to sing "Camelot" at 75 years old, but was still better than not seeing him sing it at all.

Especially loved Curtis in a made-for-TV movie that used to be on every Christmas in the '90s: "Christmas in Connecticut." It also starred Dyan Cannon and Kris Kristofferson. Curtis was simply hilarious in it. Worth checking it out. Used copies on Amazon start at $6.34. I've decorated my Christmas tree to that movie every year since 1992.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Connecticut-1992-TV-Movie/dp/B0002KQNLI/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285885083&sr=8-2

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

He was awesomely self unaware in the incredibly crappy TV show Hollywood Babylon which featured very craptacular re-enactments of Hollywood scandals.

Draft saved Draft deleted