1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tony Burton (Duke in Rocky series)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rocky actor Tony Burton dies age 78

Started out with a bit part, only one or two speaking lines, as Apollo's flunky in the original movie, but became a key supporting player to Rocky by "IV" and also showed up in "Balboa."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I love the scene in II when he tries to talk Apollo out of fighting Rocky by saying that he saw Balboa take the worst beating ever and just kept coming after Creed.

RIP

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"This is supposed to be an exhibition!"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Instead of screaming at Rocky to throw the damn towel twice, and also considering that the ref had already tried to step in and was shoved across the ring, why the heck didn't Duke just try to jump in the ring himself and stop Drago from hitting Apollo another dozen times?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

" I see three of him out there."

"Hit the one in the middle!"

RIP, Duke. :(

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Surprised Mrs Creed never filed a $61 million negligence suit against Duke for not throwing the damn towel.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wasn't Paulie the one that said hit the one in the middle and then Duke (or was it Apollo) said "that's right, hit the one in the middle"

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right. Duke still deserves partial credit, though. I love how matter-of-factly he repeats it:

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Duke probably had minimal personal assets and thus wouldn't be much of a lawsuit target.

However Rocky as the retired world heavyweight champ probably had a few millions left.

So that probably explains how Rocky hit the financial skids between IV and V: he got his ass sued off by Mary Anne Creed.

The revelation in "Creed" that Mary Anne hadn't spoken to Rocky since Apollo 's funeral actually supports that explanation, although it's really tongue in cheek.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They explained it in Rocky V as Paulie giving power of attorney to their crooked accountant, who invested their money and went belly-up. Plus, they owed the IRS for unpaid property taxes.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Never saw the guy in another single movie beyond the Rocky series, and I hope I never do. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted