1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Tommy Newsom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 1, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

Tommy Newsom, 78, a jazz saxophonist and arranger who gained national visibility as a key member of Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" band for three decades, and whom Carson nicknamed "Mr. Excitement" for his stone-faced demeanor and somber outfits, died April 28 at his home in Portsmouth, Va. He had bladder and liver cancer.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It'll be 15 years ago this month that Carson went off the air. Christ, it doesn't seem that long.
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tommy was the fulcrum across which Carson launched many jokes, especially when Ed had the night off, Doc was the sidekick and Tommy led the orchestra — errrr, band.

RIP indeed.

All you 81ers don't know what you missed after you went to bed.
  4. He was only 78?
  5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

63 when they went off the air... makes sense.
  6. markvid

markvid Guest

I thought the same, he looked older when they went off the air.
  7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Should I feel guilty because every time I read or see a Carson-related item these days I get a distinct feeling of "Gee, that stuff sure seemed a lot funnier back then than it does now?"
  8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No need to feel guilty, hat. But you're wrong.
    Have some of the old Carson shows on tape and DVD and they're still hilarious becuase Carson had amazing comedic timing.

RIP Mr. Excitement.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tommy was a terrific target for Johnny's jabs, not to mention an underrated sax player. That band, by the way, was sensational -- Doc, drummer Ed Shaughnessy, Snooky Young, etc.

RIP to The Baron of Brown.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Some great players there, no doubt about that. Wish I'd had a chance to see them when they toured.
  11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My original ambition as a high school tenor sax/clarinet/flute player in the jazz band was to be the first woman member of the Tonight Show orchestra. I loved the way that man played.

RIP, Tommy.
  12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Carson, if he were here, would say Tommy died 25 years ago and somebody only now noticed.

He was a hell of a player. RIP

(I always looked forward to the Christmas Eve Tonight show, which was nothing but the band playing holiday songs and a shitload of Budweiser Clydedale commercials. Then. live from the Vatican, the Pope.)
Draft saved Draft deleted