1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 8, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He certainly wasn't everyone's plate of lasagna. He played up the theatrics, hob-nobbed with Hollywood stars. And his sound bytes got lots of play, especially from Healy.

I interviewed him a few times when he would come out to the big Little League regional tournament in San Bernardino and was always accommodating.

I grew up an Angels fan and always resented the Dodgers success and how they owned SoCal. But you couldn't deny his success.

The 1985 NLCS Game 6, my dad and I were with my dad's first cousin, who had tickets to Game 7. As soon as Jack Clark hit that shot, he tossed them into the trash can.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lol the Angels did not exist but were fine to watch on Channel 5 on the days Dodgers games weren't on TV.

3. Songbird

In other words, the Angels were the Clippers.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  4. MileHigh

The Dodgers were on Channel 11 for several years.

5. Songbird

Right, when the Dodgers weren't on 11, I'd watch the Angels on 5.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

I don't disagree with that. Other than 1982 and 1986, they were drek.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I just had that conversation with a friend yesterday. Dodgers fans who grew up in the 70s and the 80s followed the Angels as their AL team but Angels fans of that era hate the Dodgers.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. MileHigh

And still do, me included. F that bleed Dodger blue crap (but not Scully; I love Scully).

MTM likes this.
  9. MileHigh

Simpler times

Game 1: 12 innings, took 3:24
    Game 2: 2:27
    Game 3: 2:31
    Game 4: Day game after a night game, 2:07
    Game 5: Day game, 2:29
    Game 6: 2:18

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True story: Their first two seasons, the Dodgers were on KMPC, which was owned by Gene Autry as part of his Golden West Radio Network (which included KSFO, the Giants' flagship at the time). For the 1960 season, they switched to KFI, allegedly because a team executive went to Big Bear Lake over the weekend and couldn't get KMPC. So when it was announced the American League was expanding to LA, Autry went to the Winter Meetings to make sure KMPC got the radio rights ... and ended up owning the team.

garrow, Michael_ Gee and MileHigh like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

One other thing, Tommy almost always had a good pitching staff. A lot of that was organizational strength but he also had to have had something to do with it.

12. Songbird

He was the ball buster and cheerleader Hershiser needed most.

Draft saved Draft deleted