1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've added seats closer to the field. I thinking the simplicity of the field, the soft blue walls, the lazy hazy L.A. background.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yeah, he definitely had a Hollywood flair for the dramatic.

I've not ever been a huge baseball fan or follower. Just not my favorite sport. But my two most indelible Dodger memories, as for many others, are from 1988:

Game 4 of the NLCS vs. the N.Y. Mets, 12th inning, 5-4 Dodgers, bases loaded, two out, in N.Y. Orel Hershiser, just off his record-setting streak of 59 scoreless innings pitched, strolls in from the bullpen. Gets Kevin McReynolds, who had homered and doubled earlier in the game, to line out for the save. I had never seen Hershiser come in in relief, and it was as if Lasorda (or yes, some coach) must have just walked up to him and went, "Go get that guy out, please."

Game 1 of the World Series: Kirk Gibson being called on to win the game with his two-out, ninth-inning, two-run walk-off home run off Oakland ace Dennis Eckersley. Dodgers won that game, 5-4, as well.

Two truly incredible sports moments, even for people who aren't baseball afficianados.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or as the late Hank Greenwald said after the earthquake, "Unfortunately, this was our best chance to get rid of this place."

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I was in a scrum one time when the Dodgers were in Clearwater when Lasorda, all of a sudden, started pointing at a reporter and berating him. Really nasty stuff
    Later on I found out the reporter (wish I could remember the name) was the one who outed Lasorda’s son
    Lasorda never admitted his son, who died of AIDS in 1991, was gay

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You do the honors since I’ll bet you remember it better.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Another part of Tommy's success is that he came up through the minors with the core of the team. They knew his moods and dealt with the rah-rah stuff, probably often with an eye roll.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think he was good at managing star egos in a mega baseball market. Far easier said than done

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

R.I.P.
    But I never cared for the guy.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One time I went to Lakeland because I wanted to get Lasorda when there wasn’t a big crowd
    Big mistake
    Lasorda kept avoiding me and running away from me, finally giving me a perfunctory five minutes
    Later on I found out Lasorda big timed a lot of guys from small papers

Draft saved Draft deleted