1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 8, 2021.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

There are going to a lot of sound bytes and video clips on this thread.

RIP to a true baseball lifer.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

RIP to one of the last of the old school skippers. I seriously doubt that 50-60 years from now a future SJ.com will have many threads on the demise of most of today's front office lackeys in uniform.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

RIP

Right about now, he's probably finding out for sure if you have to love the Dodgers to get into heaven.

maumann likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I never liked the Dodgers, I respected him. May he RIP.

(Ok admission, I secretly envied them and wondered why the Giants didn’t have a beautiful stadium and why they couldn’t develop their own INF that would play for yrs together and win the division every year and win WS. well until 2010!)

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

None better than this.

Growing up in SoCal, I had a front-row seat to him and he was a character. And easy fodder for the late, great Jim Healy.

RIP

justgladtobehere and Chef2 like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Talk about....

Kurt Be-VA-qua

Chef2 likes this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know Tommy had his warts, but he was a great ambassador for the Dodgers and baseball.

I met Tommy when I was 19 and was invited into the clubhouse after a game. He was friends with my friend's father, who produced adult movies. Tommy served us beers from his office tap.

It was that night I decided I wanted to be an usher at the stadium. I kept bugging my friend to have his dad call Tommy and hook me up. When that didn't happen, I called the stadium, set up an interview and was hired.

I didn't always agree with Tommy's lefty-righty substitutions, and he never should have had Niedenfuer pitch to Jack Clark in '85, but you can't argue with his success.

RIP, Tommy

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I hope God asks Lasorda what he thinks of Dave Kingman.

10. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Even Philly Phanatic is sad.

Rest easy, Tommy.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Oh shit. He was in the hospital for 7 weeks and finally released just a couple of days ago. I guess it was “go home, nothing else we can do.”
    He was an asshole, but I liked him and he made my job a lot easier by always being available and always having an opinion. Could fill up the notebook. He understood and appreciated newspapers and the people who wrote them. The beat guys were always wary, but he charmed the columnists, which left him with a very favorable impression.
    Of all the recorded Lasorda rants I've heard, I probably witnessed at least half of them, including the first MLB game I ever covered, the Kingman performance.
    I have a million Lasorda stories. RIP.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fletch unavailable for comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted