1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tomie dePaola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 30, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Legendary children's book author and illustrator fell and hit his head yesterday, dying soon after.

Word spreading on Twitter.

He wrote hundreds of books, including the Strega Nona series.

He was 85.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Awwww, man. So sorry to hear this. My kid loved his books when he was little. He came and spoke at the library near our house, and we went to see him. He was fun and engaging, talked about how he got ideas for books, his art. He told stories.

The moment I remember best was when a kid asked him why he wrote children's books. He said "When I was young and learning to read, they gave us the most awful stupid books. I write books kids can enjoy. You would not believe how bad they were or how widespread they were. They kind of scarred us for life. Here. I'll show you."

He then looked around and said "Parents. See Dick", and we all dutifully chanted "See Dick Run. Run, Dick, Run. Run run run." in unison as all the kids looked at us goggle-eyed. Then we all fell out laughing.

Rest.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

CCAC alum here. (Yeah, I know: bonobo, backpack, tuition money...) He came and spoke as a distinguished alum. you know how you can hear about someone and think, "He can't be that nice." He was. And he had that slightly wicked sense of humor about art and writing. So sad to see him go. His books and memory will be a comfort to those who need them.

I Should Coco and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad news.

With a son named Anthony (who definitely grew into a "big" Anthony), my wife and I always enjoyed reading the Strega Nona books with our kids. We still get out the Christmas Strega Nona story for old times sake.

"Christmas has a magic all its own." RIP.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted