1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Underwood

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a good guy who gave it his all on the mound.
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/phillies/20101126_Tom_Underwood__Phillies_pitcher_from_1974-77__dies_of_cancer.html
    http://kokomotribune.com/sports/x862968221/Tom-Underwood-dies-at-56

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember we used to derisively call him "Tom Underwear" back in the day. RIP.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The one thing I remember about his career was later when he was with the Blue Jays (and having a pretty rough year), he pitched a good game against the Tigers, giving up just one run, but the Tigers hurler making his major league debut did even better, tossing a shutout for a 1-0 win. That Tigers pitcher was Tom's brother, Pat Underwood.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

They both got standing ovations for their performances.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Remember that game, mp. Underwood was Blue Jays pitcher of the year in 1978, I think

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was.

And then he started 1979 going 0-7 or something like that. He ended up still leading the team in wins and throwing 12 complete games because the rest of the staff was just horrible. So horrible that Dave Stieb was able to go from Class A to the majors in that one season.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

56... way too young.

In a conversation about "if you had one wish... " the other night, one of the answers was "a cure for every type of cancer."

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted