1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Tom Tresh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Came aboard near the end of the Yankees' '60s dynasty, a second-generation major leaguer:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/10/15/2008-10-15_former_yankee_tom_tresh_dead_at_71.html?ref=nl&nltr_ct=1&nltr_id=Tom%20Tresh%20dead%20at%2071

[​IMG]

Vic Ziegel column:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/10/15/2008-10-15_tom_tresh_was_always_playing_with_a_full.html

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Sorry to hear of this. RIP

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I need to call my brother. He's a long-time Yankees fan and all his favorites are dying here. Sad stuff.
    RIP

4. Took a groundball in the throat at a key moment in the 1960 Series, as I recall.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

FB: Wasn't that Tony Kubek (and in Game 7, I believe)?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That was Kubek. Tresh got his chance, though, when Kubek was called to military service in '62. Long before there were name-and-number shirts at retail my dad had us wearing replica Yankees jerseys. My older brother was No. 7, I was No. 8, my next brother was No. 9 and my youngest brother, who was born in 1961, got Tresh's No. 15.

7. Saw Tresh's son Mickey play minor league ball. Bet you can't guess who his godfather was.

8. Full of fail, am I.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

First baseball game I ever saw was a Bat Day at Yankee Stadium, and I got the Tom Tresh model bat.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

RIP, Tiger shortstops from 1967-74: Ray Oyler, Tom Tresh, Cesar Gutierrez and Eddie Brinkman, including two in the last couple of weeks.

If I'm Tom Matchick, I'm not buying any green bananas.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nicely put.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember hearing his 1962 WS homer on my transistor radio while walking home from school.

They showed his photo on the scoreboard at the Yankee Stadium farewell ceremonies but he wasn't there in person.

Draft saved Draft deleted