1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly convinced that Keith Richards isn't human.
    He fell out of a freaking tree at the age of 62, and I'm betting the next day, he woke up......had 3 fingers of Jack Daniels, 2 packs of Lucky Strike unfiltered, and an 8-ball down all before he finished his first cup of coffee.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Cameron Crowe Talks to Tom Petty for First Rolling Stone Story

"Sometimes I feel really gracious. Everything is really good, the world is so wonderful. It doesn't last very long. I'm always pissed off at something again. It's the best position for observing. You see all these groups get to the top, get too content and then blow it with bad music." He gulps down the last of his coffee. "Our intention is to stay pissed off."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It isn't really Petty related, but the story of one of the skateboarders in the Free Falling video is horrific.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wait. What was Richards doing in a tree, especially at 62? I haven't been in a tree since I was, like 15.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The great Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule pay tribute to TP:

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

For those who don't know what this references...

free fallin' -- the story of skateboard star Mark "Gator" Rogowski

This Village Voice piece was in one of the early editions of Best American Sports Writing. The last line has always stuck with me.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fuckin' Keith Richards.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I still remember listening to Crackhead Bob interview Richards on Stern years ago and you couldn't understand a word either of them said. It was hilarious

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That may be the last funny show Stern ever did.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did Petty and Chrissie Hynde ever collaborate? That would've been an interesting sound.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

It's been a few days since he left us. Still can't hear certain songs without tearing up.

Wildflowers
    Crawling Back to You
    Face in the Crowd ... just to name a few.

Is it ironic that I got an ear infection the day after his passing, knowing I'll never hear any more new albums from the Heartbreakers, because you know they'd never go on without Tom.

I thought losing Cornell was bad, but this was the absolute worst for me as a lifelong fan. It's good to know how much he meant to some others on here.

I celebrated his life with alcohol and nothing but Petty on the jukebox at my favorite watering hole. I feel it's a tribute he would've loved.

Draft saved Draft deleted