1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Brookshier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Eagles sent out an e-mail:

The Philadelphia Eagles are saddened to announce that former All-Pro defensive back Tom Brookshier passed away on Friday night at the age of 78 after a bout with cancer.

Originally a 10th round draft pick from Colorado, Brookshier made an immediate impact with eight interceptions during his rookie season of 1953. Then, after a two-year stint in the Air Force, the defensive back returned to the Eagles and twice earned All-Pro honors - first in 1959, and again in 1960 as a member of the NFL championship team. In all he spent seven seasons with the Eagles and collected 20 interceptions. Upon retiring as a player, he entered the broadcast booth on CBS's telecasts of NFL games. Brookshier, a native of Roswell, New Mexico, is a member of the Eagles Honor Roll and is one of seven players in franchise history to have his jersey number (#40) retired.

Said Eagles head coach Andy Reid today after learning of Brookshier’s passing, “Tom Brookshier is one of all-time greats, both for what he did on the field and for the kind of man he was off the field. I will always remember him for his booming and bright personality. He had an uncanny love for life, a love for his family and a love for the game of football, especially for the Philadelphia Eagles. He bled green and I will always cherish our conversations and the relationship that we fostered throughout my tenure in Philadelphia. Our deepest condolences go out to his wife, Barbara, and the rest of the Brookshier family.”

Per the Brookshier family, funeral arrangements are pending.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brookshier and Summerall were the best NFL crew ever. They were the team of my childhood.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, that's so sad. Another part of my childhood gone. Brookshier was a excellent if extremely chippy defensive back, and a beloved if not technically excellent announcer. A Philly institution.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was still pretty young to appreciate Brookshier in the booth, but having watched old games with him and Summerall, yeah, they were pretty good.
    RIP.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn shame. Like Abbott, the No. 1 team of my youth. RIP.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Brookshier / Summerall were one of best teams ever.

Understated and insightful. Brookshier also did that NFL films weekly highlight show with Harry Kallas that reviews highlights of eash game played.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I loved Tom Brookshier as an announcer on my 1970s childhood NFL Sunday afternoons but, until today, did not know he'd played the game.
    His booth talent was a type I'd love to see today's talent gravitate to.
    So many in the booth today (mostly male announcers) are so full of themselves.
    Back in the day, most of them weren't.

RIP Tom Brookshier.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Loved the Summerall / Brookshier team. RIP.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Sad to hear. Classy knowledgeable announcer.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing was greater than Summerall and Brookshier at the Sun Bowl (which they did every year) making pretty poorly veiled allusions to how much hell they'd raised in Juarez all week.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was going to say this must be a generational thing until Bubbler weighed in.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess Alex Hawkins bugged heaven enough to get him a drinking partner.

Draft saved Draft deleted