1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to the original Sports Reporter, Bill Gleason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved that show. Something tells me guys like Gleason would make sure their copy was in before heading to a TV studio.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It was an awesome show. The best of its kind.

To my knowledge, I only shared a press box with Gleason once. He came down to cover a Purdue football game. After the game, he had a beer in a sock as he filed his story.

RIP to a true character.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So sad to hear this.

Telander wrote a terrific piece about the show in 1990: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1123124/1/index.htm

RIP to a truly lovely man.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Looks like a great story. Then I got to the bottom of page 1 and saw I had 15 more to go. Got to page 2 and it's tiny ... about 6 paragraphs. They could package it a little better.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wasn't he Carrie (mlb.com) Muskat's uncle?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sports talk with intelligence, humor and style. Along with a good sense of historical perspective.

Ingredients 97% of the morons currently holding forth on sports on the airwaves utterly lack (most especially the sniggering-fratboy 'guy talk' genre).

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Key word there: Humor.

Nothing is worse than that ESPN show where Mariotti, Paige and company scream and snarl.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The prevailing ripoff show on Sunday morning presided over by kiddie-book peddlers and
    quasi-feelgood offenses to
    the IQ is far, far worse than the Reali Carnival.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Saw that too. But by clicking on the "Print" option, you get it all in one long take, handy for reading, printing or copy-and-pasting into a file.

Draft saved Draft deleted