1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to the original Sports Reporter, Bill Gleason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 3, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Remember watching The Sportswriters or whatever that show as called w/him and Telander and Bill Jauss and others around a poker table, smoking and talking sports well before ESPN took the idea and ran with it.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/former-sun-times-columnist-bill-gleason-dead-at-87.html

2. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

The show was called "Sports Writers on TV" I used to love that show when I could find it on the local Fox Sports Net affiliate.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That was a great show. So much smoke you could hardly see Telander's face.

4. this was the show of my childhood. i saw this long before sports reporters, for whatever reason, and the fun they had was part of the reason i wanted to go into the biz. is ben bentley still alive? he's got to be dead by now.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The radio version that aired on WGN and predated the TV show was just outstanding.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It was must-hear radio for a young sports fan growing up in the midwest.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Da Bears

I loved that show. RIP

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Bill was the quintessential sportswriter, and when I was a teenager, I lived to catch that show on Sportschannel Midwest or whatever it was called on the satellite. Loved the clickety-clack sound of the typewriter that was its bumper music; loved how the cigar smoke lingered around Gleason, Jauss, Telander and Joe Mooshil; loved Gleason's voice. Part of me feels like a slice of my childhood has slipped away. RIP, Bill.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bill Gleason caught the Chicago zeitgeist with his line about how when his father learned his daughter (Gleason's sister) had become a Cubs fan, the father replied, "I'd rather she woulda left da Church."

RIP, Bill.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bentley's gone. Number of years ago. Believe me, I know: went to another service at the same home
    that also handled the Ben
    Bentley Goldberg service, the same week.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A longtime loyalist of the true Church of the South Side, Gleason understood
    what the deal was.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If I'm a Chicago sports fan, give me Bill Gleason as a columnist every day of the week over some of the authors and artistes who hold down those jobs 'round the country. Shot and a beer guy in a shot and a beer town.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted