1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to the greatest Eagle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 24, 2012.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

i thought bednarik as well ...if only because I had assumed Van Buren has passed years ago.

first player in NFL history to go over 1,000 yards twice...and likely the first legitimate to go over 1,000 yards. There are a lot of questions on whether Beattie Feathers actually rushed for 1,004 or if there were catches, kick-off returns involved.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was thinking Bednarik.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Always good when three-quarters of a thread is dedicated to people pointing out the misleading subject line.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yep, really ought to change the thread title. Should be reserved until this guy passes away:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you follow the webcam of the Decorah eagles in Iowa. Absolutely amazing.

[​IMG]

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Relieved.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not so sure Steve Van Buren doesn't belong in the conversation. Plenty was written about the 1948 NFL Championship. Great photos and video came out of that game. A year later, he slogs through the mud and helps beat the Rams.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d80498bf1/Top-Ten-Weather-Games-1948-NFL-Championship

Like the everyman stories ... and, again, not sure he doesn't belong right there with Chuck Bednarik.

Take It Easy ...

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Amazing he's lived this long with those smoking habits.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It seems kind of insulting to put Reggie White, who spent more than a third of his career with the Packers, ahead of lifelong Eagle Chuck Bednarik. How was the order decided?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Roman Gabriel just punched Sonny Jurgensen and doesn't know why.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can't help but wonder if Bednarik's curmudgeonly attitude rankled some of those panelists. He might top Bob Feller among least-likable icons.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Van Buren is also a big part of the father-son relationship storyline in "Invincible," which is one of my favorite sports movies. He was Mark Wahlberg's character's father's favorite player, and his performance in the 1948 NFL title game is referenced several times in the film.

Draft saved Draft deleted