1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Thoughts and prayers to his family and many friends.

RIP, Craig.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I only knew him as SF_Express and, in that guise, I knew him as what so many others have pointed out. Our voice of reason.

RIP

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

We passed in similiar circles a couple of times, and his PMs here were always thoughtful and helpful. He'll be missed. And damn, running?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm so very sorry for this loss. Damn. My sincere condolences to everyone who knew Craig, whether online or in person.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When I agreed with him, I felt better about where I stood.

When I disagreed with him, I was almost assuredly wrong.

Don't know what more you can say about a man.

6. timcary

timcary New Member

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Never connected Craig Stanke from Twitter with SF_Express, but that doesn't matter. I'm sorry all of his incarnations are gone.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's a sad day. It's always tough to realize a poster will never crack another joke, or post some sage advice.

I didn't know Craig, but like others, I enjoyed SF's posts. I think about Spnited, who I also did not know, often when I'm posting about NY sports and I know he'll never reply. I'm sure I'll think and feel the same way about SF when posting about commas, or other journalism topics.

RIP doesn't seem like enough.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Ironic. I was just reading this very post a few minutes ago (before I opened up this thread and found out who he was and what happened) and thinking, "yeah, you're right. Couldn't have said it any better myself."

Never knew the man outside of this site, but thinking back, I don't recall any post that wasn't gentlemanly. I guess that's a good tribute.

At 56, he's a contemporary (I'm 57). RIP, indeed.

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Like many of you, knew Craig only from his comments on here as SF Express. Always found him sensible and reasonable. Reading tributes from many people I know and respect in the business makes me so sad I didn't know Craig personally. RIP

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I change my SportsJournalists.com name occasionally (sorry), but I've been here seven or eight years. SF_Express was such a giant to me, too, and his word was always gold. I can't remember how many times I would read his posts and nod my head and think, "Well, SF_Express nailed it again."

It's a sad night. Beers up for Craig Stanke and the terrific legacy of SF_Express.

Draft saved Draft deleted