1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

It was not his final post, but he seemed excited about the Hatfield's and McCoy's series as well as Mad Men Season 5.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always saw him as a voice of reason on this board. I never met him, but we had a lot of friends in common and we traded PMs almost weekly.

RIP to one of my favorite people on this board.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Every time he posted about something he'd done or was involved in around here I tried to think if I knew him, who could he be? Even if it was something that happened a long time ago, because I've been around here a long time. Could never figure it out.
    Now that I do know his real name, no, I didn't know him probably never met him.
    But it was consistent over the years that whatever issue he was posting about, he was right on in his analysis.
    RIP to the friend I never knew, who I'm sure knows people who I know very well.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I only knew the man as a voice on these boards. But his voice always carried weight and this is tremendously sad news. RIP.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Shit. Not sure what else to say. Feel sick to my stomach.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said. I will miss seeing his name on future threads here. It was one where you could be reading a post having overlooked the name, then looked back and thought, "Of course."

RIP.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

His sister is heading to Florida and there will be a memorial service there - again, will post details as soon as I have them.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I didn't know him in person, but I certainly felt like I knew him through his posts here. He was very candid about some very personal things, and his sharing those experiences helped me through some similar experiences.

I have been meaning for months to PM him to thank him for that.

This will certainly be a lesser place without SF_Express. Peace to those who knew him and worked with him.

9. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

He and I talked on PMs quite a bit as he'd tell me to, essentially, STFU and do what was right. He helped with some pointers on my features and was a wonderful wordsmith. A true believer in the sports world. I wish I would have/could have known the man.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I kind of know my stuff, and I try to be reasonable, but I can't hold an SportsJournalists.com candle to SF_Express. He clearly knew and loved journalism and remained above the fray.

I knew of him in real life but knew him mostly from here.

Life just hits you in the head with a 2x4 sometimes, and you never even see it coming.

RIP.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It says something that, as I type this, there are 331 people viewing this thread.

Usually, a new thread gets a high "guest" total in the first few minutes after it goes out on Twitter. Then it quickly fades.

This one is growing and growing and growing.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

403 now -- 21 members, 382 guests as of this post.

I never knew the guy, but his handle always held an air of respectability about him. He knew his shit and didn't get involved in the picky bullshit that alternatively plagues and energizes this place. Almost like a visiting professor who doesn't care about getting tenure or a better office, he's just here to talk journalism. As a result, if he disagreed with you, you would do well to understand why because it certainly wasn't to engage in a random pissing match. His words carried weight and always made a good thread that much better.

We're losing our wizened old men, and that's just a damned shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted