1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. rogueveda

rogueveda New Member

One of the best ... worked with him at CBS. I'm so stunned it's unbelievable. Was a great editor and an even better person. What a loss ...

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

RIP, Craig. One of my all-time favorite posters on here. Sad, sad day.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rest in Power Craig Stanke.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy cow. RIP.

I didn't get to know Craig away from here, but we talked quite a bit on this site. He truly was a great guy to talk to, always lending a bit of advice when I asked him.

I'm gonna miss him.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I only knew him by his handle, but I could tell that he was someone that I should pay attention to if I wanted to be a better writer. I commented on his post in the comma thread just this morning.

Craig, you will be missed more people than you'll know.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nor will South Freehold or South Framingham.

I only knew him as SF_Express, and it'd usually be 50/50 whether we were on the same side of an issue. But he was an early advocate here of Internet journalism, but an even stronger advocate of responsible journalism no matter the medium. Always a reasonable poster, didn't cut other people down for sport, and it sounded through his time here that he was enjoyed the fruits of perspective gained through living a full life. RIP to a good man, and may your loved ones be comforted by their memories of you.

7. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

We've hired a few folks in recent years, and every time we did, I'd reach out to the new person and say something like, "You don't know this now, but you will soon enough: Craig Stanke is the best boss you'll ever have." And within a few weeks, they'd tell me I was right. He was calm, calming and brilliant.

As lots of us tended to do, I'd make the occasional crack about his age (he wasn't THAT old, but his experience was just so damn vast that it seemed that way). He'd reward me, or whoever was making the crack, with a long story that ended, every time, with: "... and the funny thing is, the sign said, "F--- you, Doyel."

Love you, Craig Stanke.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Didn't know him, what his real name was or what the SF stood for (I always assumed San Francisco). But I always enjoyed his posts. You could tell just from his posts what a great, smart guy he was. RIP to Craig and prayers to both his family and those here who knew him.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know him, except from here. Always thought he was one of the most reasonable voices on here. Anyone know what the SF did stand for? I was always curious.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Gregg, you put it perfectly.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

And the SF in SF_Express was for South Florida.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't know Craig, but I loved talking running and fitness with SF_Express.

I am having a difficult time processing the fact that the guy who wrote this post, my last interaction with him but one I really appreciated - he had my back and expressed what I was trying to get at 1,000 times better than I was - is gone now:

Draft saved Draft deleted