1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great stories of a great people. RIP... you'll be missed where ever you touched people.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Never met him, but always wish I had. I always thought he was the wisest voice on the board. Like was said elsewhere, when I didn't agree with him, I had a feeling I was wrong. The journalism world lost a great one. It's so unfortunate. He was one of the few posters who I wanted to see what they had to say, because chances are it would help shape my perspective. He had clout. He had gravitas. It sucks he's gone.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

This is such terribly sad news. I never knew that Craig Stanke was SF_Express until today. I saw a few postings on others' Facebook pages and then came here to find this thread. I never had any interaction with SF other than to admire and learn from his posts. But I had met Craig years ago at a friend's wedding. We had a great time partying together that night but our paths never crossed again. He was such a great guy and so much fun. But he also had such an impact on our business in ways large and small as many have expressed so much better than I could. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Amen.

6. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

I talked with Craig on the phone about a week ago.
    He was in great spirits.
    He loved talking journalism.
    And he really loved his life lately.
    He was running.
    He was alive and feeling great.
    It's a tremendous loss.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I can't add anything that hasn't been said.

He'll be missed.

RIP

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just heard from a friend. There is indeed a group out tonight in FtL honoring Craig. I wish I was there. I am sure there are groups elsewhere doing the same. My son just left with my grand dog, so I'm alone. But I will raise a glass of club soda in Craig's honor. RIP Stanke.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I only knew him from here. He never wrote something that wasn't worth reading, and it was always respectful without pandering. From what I've seen on the past five pages, I regret never having met him. RIP, SF_Express. My thoughts and prayers go out to your loved ones tonight.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Way too young. Sorry to hear.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

received an unsolicited PM from SF_Express a few months ago, containing not an admonishment but a well-reasoned view and a request to take down a post of mine.

We had a good exchange (I did take down the post; easy come, easy go), but it was clear we weren't going to meet in the middle, and he ended with:

"Certainly, though, reasonable people can disagree."

I didn't feel "wrong" because I disagreed with SF_Express. And I still disagree with him on this particular topic. But he was sure to make clear that my agreement wasn't going to be essential to a quality discussion.

A good dude.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted