1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tim Russert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jun 13, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought he deserved above the fold treatment. Hell, I might even do something in my paper and we're about as local-local as it gets.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm starting to reconsider that position. Just from being out and about today, people are still talking about this. It'll fade but maybe the wall-to-wall coverage was justified.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My dad called me from France today (he returns Tuesday, but anyway) and asked me if I'd heard about it.

I think the wall-to-wall coverage was definitely justified. If my paper had come out today instead of Wednesday, I'm sure I would have had a localized story on it.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It was right where I expected it. Definitely P1 worthy but not above the fold. Might have been above if it was a suspicious death, but generally I expect above-the-folders to be heads of state, maybe mega-prominent New Yorkers, and that's about it.

It's always a morbidly fun debate though, who gets on the front of the NYT in death.

5. I've often (half) joked that it is my goal in life to get my obituary run in the NYT when I go.

Draft saved Draft deleted