1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tim Russert...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Backyardigan, Jun 13, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

God, his wife and son are still in Italy, where he was just vacationing with them, he came home early to prepare for Meet the Press this weekend.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I feel like I've lost somebody I know.

I was just thinking a few hours ago about how much I enjoy MTP. I don't miss it.

This is awful.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Terrible. RIP to a Buffalo fanboi.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

What you say has a grain of truth, but I am not sure that Tim Russert was the absolute picture of health. We should all do whatever we can to stay in shape and eat well because it does cut down on risks of heart disease. Ultimately, genetic factors may outweigh all of it, but it doesn't mean that our habits don't matter.

Losing Russert this year, in the most interesting political year ever, is an American tragedy as far as I'm concerned.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

How ironic that I'm sitting in the hospital with my dad when NBC broke into the golf coverage......
    My dad is having triple bypass surgery on Monday. His blockage is so bad that admitted him for the weekend.

Devastating......I felt like I've lost a friend. Great man and great journalist.
    And so sad that his dad outlived him...and that its Father's Day weekend.

Tom Brokaw was hard to watch.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

When I visited Tim Russert's wikipedia page a few minutes ago, some asshole had linked it to the page for "fats." Thankfully it was immediately changed.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Terrible, terrible news.

Of all the tv news talking heads (Stephanopolous, O'Reilly, Olberman, etc.), Russert was the one who struck me as the one who best balanced being a serious reporter and not just an entertaining TV personality, but who at the same time didn't take things so seriously that he sounded wooden and sterile. He knew his stuff and could have gravitas when needed, but could also have some color too.

The TV news business will really miss him.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to the family. Terrible news. He was a legendary figure in DC.

I read "Big Russ and Me" a few years ago and enjoyed it, but it seemed to be more about Russert, than his dad. I am now grateful that Russert was able to write about how he grew to be the person he became.

I'd rather be Aaron Rodgers than the next host of Meet the Press. Big shoes.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Here's how you know how important Tim Russert was.

On the night of the Indiana and North Carolina primary, he made news simply by making the following statement:

Once Russert said it, it was real. What more can you say about a journalist?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that's really fucking scary...

RIP

11. One of my all-time broadcasters and personalities. It's a shame he never got to see his team win the big one, which he so badly wanted.

[​IMG]

RIP Mr. Russert.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How sad.

Went to the same college as Tim Russert, at a different time. He's one of the faces of JCU and recently did a short video for the school's Pride of John Carroll series about his time there.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted