1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tim Russert...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Backyardigan, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rick Sanchez on CNN had what might have been the oddest, and most telling Russert anecdote. Sanchez said when he started at MSNBC he was terrible, he sucked and Chris Matthews, Brian Williams and Tom Brokaw made sure he knew they knew he didn't belong. Russert, however, was always supportive. Also enjoyed the Verne Gay piece on Russert in Newsday which features an amazing profile excerpt written for the WashPo by Lloyd Grove.
    SO WHO PLAYS RUSSERT IN THE MOVIE?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Rick Sanchez is still a joke.
    He makes Ron Burgundy seem professional.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Randy Quaid....

4. Simon_Cowbell

Funny... as I reflect on it a bit, I wish the guy had let us in on a little bit of overcome emotion.

He was frighteningly stoic.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its an Irish catholic trait

6. Simon_Cowbell

Even Teddy Kennedy's eulogy of Bobby had a moment where his deep, rich voice cracked.... killed me to listen to.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Simon,

My guess is that he held it together because he knew that if he cracked, even just a tad, the whole dam would burst.

8. Simon_Cowbell

It's simply incredible... or spooky.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There was a private service that morning, he said he had given the same speech...might have been a little easier the second time around.

That kid must be so exhausted...I hope he can step out of the public eye now and just be a guy who lost his dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted