1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: This Week in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

TWIB was an addiction for a kid who didn't get cable TV until he was nearly 11. I remember KDKA TV would show This Week in Baseball before a Sunday afternoon Pirates telecast. Couldn't care less about the dogshit Pirates, but i gobbled up every minute of Mel Allen and the stories they were doing.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So did Mushnick get this upset when "The Baseball Bunch" was canceled?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. The perfect interlude between Saturday morning cartoons and TWIB, followed by the Game of the Week.

Always thought it was funny to see Tommy Lasorda as the Swami.

And I enjoyed TWIB a lot as a kid. Few years back, they had TWIB re-runs on ESPN Classic, and they were fun to watch.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved TWIB. My first exposure to Mel Allen. For a baseball fan, it did a great job of humanizing the players and taking players behind the scenes of a game. And of course, the bloopers and great plays segments.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Have had TWIB on my DVR for years; probably watched about 10 percent of them, but it always made me smile to see that it had updated each Sat. afternoon.

Damn.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Time marches on and marches over the memories of my child hood. Eff time.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP TWIB

You know, speaking of The Baseball Bunch, it probably would not be a waste of money for the NBA, NFL and MLB Networks to produce a show aimed at 7-12 years olds teaching them the basics of the game like the BB did years ago, and in the process you would be growing future fans and viewers.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ready to host it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In the pre-WWL era, TWIB was a lifeline to the game outside your local team. It lost so much when a) Mel Allen died; and b) it became Fox's pregame show and, well, they had to tinker with the formula and Foxify it.

RIP and so long for now ...

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I loved TWIB when I was a kid and tried to watch it every week.

Last time I remember watching it was in the early 90s - a few years after I was out of college - when they showed every out of Dennis Martinez' perfect game against the Expos. Didn't take as long to show as you think it would.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This Week in Baseball was always bittersweet for me when I was a kid. It meant the Braves were rained out that night ...

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The passing of TWIB makes me sad. I would think ESPN Classic would do well to have a TWIB marathon in the weeks before Opening Day.

Another thing that bugs me is that DirecTV moved ESPN Classic to the 600s from its old spot at 208, right between ESPN News and ESPN2. I haven't thought to watch a thing on Classic since it was moved, and I never watch ESPNU, which was given that coveted spot at 208.

Draft saved Draft deleted