1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: This Week in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't even quite know what he's trying to say. That dads and kids don't spend time together any more?

My son is not 3 yet, and we watch baseball together already, quite a bit. Including highlight shows on MLB Network.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I haven't watched it much lately, but when I did catch it, it was still good. They adapted somewhat, and tried to keep it relevant.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

It's not good like it used to be, but still a very enjoyable program.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

And now the song's in my head.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I remember stumbling upon it a couple of years ago, and a claymation Mel Allen was doing the lead-outs to breaks.

Watched TWIB religiously as a kid, and still watch it when I stumble upon it.

For my generation, the sight of Carlton Fisk waving the ball fair with the TWIB music med was a sign of a summer weekend having begun.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This was my favorite show growing up. TWIB Notes was can't-miss news. But I can't say I'd even be able to find it now.

Sad, but like the drive-in, there's really no need for it anymore.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Which song -- the opening theme, or the one with violins over the end credits?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Both, now. Man, loved that show as a kid in the 70s and always watched it any time I stumbled across it. Even Huggy Jr., who gets all the baseball he wants in live games or on highlights on TSN or Sportsnet would watch it. He liked the features and when they had the guys mic'd up.

RIP to a weekend TV staple of my childhood.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True. I'm just a little too young to remember his HR live, but growing up watching TWIB, it's still an indelible memory -- sort of like the skier from ABC's Wide World of Sports intro.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's like impossible to find the opening on youtube. Here's the closing, though.

Both are in my all-time favorite sports themes.

Along with old CBS NFL Today theme. Wimbledon opening and closing on NBC - I picture Enberg recapping a McEnroe victory with a final shot of him holding the trophy - Wide World of Sports and CBS' NBA intro, which, yes, I actually preferred to Tesh's famous, and definitely awesome, version for NBC.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was nothing wrong with the show the last few years. It was ziney, thematic and light.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoyed a Ballantine Ale while watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted