1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP the Tony Kornheiser Show?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I am a loyal Little and usually get an e-mail read about once a week. I assume that the podcast will be ESPN affiliated as his bread is most certainly buttered with PTI. The dream of him truly saying what he thinks is not going to happen.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I took ESPN off the presets on my car radio when Mr. Tony left. I can still sing the mailbag theme if we ever get together for a night of SJ karaoke.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've been listening to him since the beginning in the early 90's when he actually took callers and banned them for asking. "How are you doing?".
    He has become much more self-reverential, too much lately. But it's a great show. I've been listening to the iTunes podcast version which is longer than the one posted from the radio station website. This one is in 2 parts and pretty much cuts out all the between segment commercials and reads.

I hope he does a daily podcast, with better guests. And No Tori Clarke.

BTW does anyone know what happened to his wife? He just stopped mentioning her about 5 years ago.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bagel City, Mr. Tony!

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Kornheiser's bitchy rich guy routine wore thin on me about 10 years ago and I replaced him with Steve Szaban in the morning and Valenti and Foster in the afternoons.

6. Webster

There have been a couple of random references to his wife by others, but she is never mentioned by him, even any any of the the stories about his son and wife coming over to his house on a near daily basis.

Tony did mention earlier this week that he had an announcement to make -- but it was not "the big announcement" so I wondered if he was leaving the show. He seemed much looser on Wednesday.

Nigel works for the station, so I wonder if he will be on the show. I assume that the rest of them are free to stay as co-hosts.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The only mention of his wife I've seen in years is his son's wedding announcement in the paper

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember him mentioning her two years ago or so when his dog died, but not at all recently. Which is weird considering how much he talks about his kids, his new dog and just about everybody else in his life.

9. Webster

In the past year, Gary mentioned her by name at least once and someone else mentioned her on at least one other occasion.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's a message board thread from a couple of years ago — it uses the same interface as SJ.com! — but it doesn't shed any light on things either:

Did Mr. Tony get divorced?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Please tell Michael.

I haven't been listening that long but the only time I heard him mention his wife when he said she was part of a group that had gone out to some bar for a trivia night.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

PTI is the only show I record and watch every day; Mrs. TV calls it "The Screamers," but it's by far the top sports show in existence. Their chemistry is of course legendary, but their range of topics and insights is unmatched.

A day-in-the-life of PTI would make for a great read. I've always wondered how much is their work (a lot, judging from the glimpses of Tony's famous legal pad, on which you can see he's hand-written his scripts) and how much is rehearsed.

Draft saved Draft deleted