1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP The Sports Reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have no interest in listening to any of the people now, with the exception of Ryan. I had interest in listening to the panel members in the early days, and "The Sports Writers on TV," even more so.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sure that wasn't Bill Swerski and the Super Fans?

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You could definitely make that parallel. But man, Jauss, Gleason, Telander and the others had some great discussions.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sports Writers on TV was a tremendous show. It was even better to me because of its Chicago focus, as those were the dead days when it was hard to get out of town sports perspectives.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Found "Sports Reporters" while flipping channels yesterday morning and it appeared to be the same people who were on it when I watched regularly two decades ago. I kept flipping.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto for me on the writers. I liked seeing guys from around the country. But ESPN did what ESPN does, they ESPN-ized it to death. They too often put in their own personalities and/or people who had turned into professional sports talkers. And of course Lupica was completely dead weight.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

From my days as a Boston colleague of Ryan's, I can tell you that the primary quality they looked for in the guests was the ability to be in the New York studio at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday to do the filming. This limited their options as to participants.

lcjjdnh and Liut like this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't doubt that, but I question how wide of a net they were casting, especially in the last several years. Darned near every beat reporter and columnist is in NYC at least one weekend a year. Of course not everyone's TV-worthy, but still.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And that's what killed the franchise. Save for The Sporting News, when they'd pick up columnists from across the country, "The Sports Reporters" originally was the only place you would see such a meeting of the minds (and, yeah, I'm counting Loopy). Now you've got First Take, PTI, Around The Horn. It became an antique.

Batman likes this.
  10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

A feces-covered antique.

11. nickp

nickp Active Member

It was decent under Dick Schapp Sportswriters on TV was excellent.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The thing about Sportswriters on TV that still sticks out to me is that Telander was the young one ...

They all were characters, especially Gleason and Bentley. Bentley was one of those guys who did everything it seemed, including promoting fights. When Bentley retired/left the show, it lost a lot.

Add: Just found this piece on Bentley that I found interesting Going A Few Rounds With Ben Bentley

Draft saved Draft deleted