1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP (the poster known as) Tripp McNeely . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Re: RIP (the poster known as) Tripp McNeely . . . he passed away Wednesday

Another great tribute to James, Claws. May he RIP and my thoughts are with you.

2. Re: RIP (the poster known as) Tripp McNeely . . . he passed away Wednesday

I'm so, so sorry.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Damn, damn. We exchanged IMs about the Lakers, didn't know him beyond that. Reading the words of those who did makes me really really wish I had.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm heartsick about this and I never had any interactions with the man. RIP.

5. lono

lono Active Member

RIP, Tripp.

And thanks, Piotr, for such a dynamic tribute.

It's just too bad we couldn't have helped him.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Oh my God. Like many others, I received a PM from him in response to one I sent him about his grandfather's death. I hope he's found peace. My condolences to all on here who knew him.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn, this sucks.

Tripp always struck me as one of the really good guys on this board. From what Piotr and Claws shared with us, it seems I had the correct impression.

RIP James.

Piotr and Claws, I am very sorry to hear of you losing your friend.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I keep thinking and hoping this is all a mistake.

RIP, Tripp.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This truly, truly saddens me. Being on the other side of the country, I never met Tripp/James, but he was one of the posters whose posts were usually enjoyable and humorous. Of course I never knew about his physical challenges, which makes it more remarkable the way he almost always stayed positive.

James' grandfather was born only a couple years after my father, who died seven years ago. From reading the obituary James wrote, I was reminded of the one I wrote for my dad. They sound like the kind of fellows who would have enjoyed having a beer or two together. The kind of guys who always worked hard, never asked for much, but were just good people to be around.

Not famous, not known to anyone outside their own little circles, but truly great men to those who loved them. Men who spent their lives leading the way for the families they worked to build.

I was also shattered when my Dad died; like with James' grandfather, it was not exactly a surprise, but no matter how much you consciously believe you're ready, you never are. My youngest sister, the baby of the family at 16 years my junior, and I (the oldest) held his hands as he slipped away. I would have given anything not to be there, but I never would have forgiven myself if I wasn't. He held my hand for 40+ years, I could hold his for 40 more seconds.

After the funeral, after coming back to work, I tried to carry on as normally as I could. I guess I succeeded, but it was very very hard sometimes. People just never know the hurts we all hold inside, and sometimes the people who seem to be holding up the best are the most devastated of all.

I just hope there's a place where James and his grandfather can meet again, where they can still let each other know how proud they are of each other.

Rest in peace, Tripp. In every way.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a remarkable post, Starman.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There've been some awesome tributes to Tripp/James on this board.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Starman, that was an incredibly touching post. What sad, sad news this is. I didn't much know the man beyond the screen name, but it hurts to hear this and see the good people of this board hurting so badly. Rest in peace tripp, and prayers to all those close to him. We'll be thinking of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted