1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP (the poster known as) Tripp McNeely . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 26, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Re: RIP (the poster known as) Tripp McNeely . . . he passed away Wednesday

RIP, James.

And Piotr, please, if you need to get this out of your system, find someone -- or someones -- to talk to.

You're always welcome here.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He PMed me after that thread as well, thanking me. He came across as a very kind, gentle soul who truly appreciated the fact he could talk to the lot of us about his feelings.

Jesus.

James, may you find peace. This board will miss you.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

DAmn.... RIP Tripp...may you find the peace you always sought...

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The layoff threads bother me. This is a kick in the gut.
    Piotr, thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts. Hang in, you know how to reach me if you need me.
    RIP Tripp.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also, let us know if there's any sort of memorial fund or charitable donation or anything like that.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Holy fuck.

He and I traded PMs a few times... My God...

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh man. So, so sorry to hear this. He was a GREAT resource in the P-T newsroom. Though I never met him, he and I conversed regularly through our in-house message system. What terrible news. Damn.

Krikorian wrote a nice tribute to James in the P-T today: http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_9710196

And there's an editor's note that accompanies a link to his grandfather's obituary (http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_9694797), which he wrote.

RIP, James. And condolences to Piotr, Claws, the P-T sports department, the Melroy family and all those who knew him.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ugh. My heart is down in my stomach. So sad to hear this news. Thoughts, prayers, hugs, and more to those who knew James. RIP, friend.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good fuckin Lord.

Like Tony and IJAG, I received a PM from Tripp thanking me for posting on his thread about his grandfather. I responded that while this place could engender plenty of nastiness, it was still, at its core, a family united by a common bond and passion, and that it sucks that it takes something sad to bring out the best in us.

I had no idea that would be proven true again, a mere four days later, and that it would be another tragedy striking James/Tripp.

Just so very awful. I echo those who hope he has found peace as well as in applauding Piotr for a wonderful tribute.

Be good to each other. I know that's ironic, coming from me, but goddamn. It's just a message board, and so much more than that at the same time.

RIP James.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wish I could have met the guy, this is horrible news.

Words escape me.

RIP.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Goodness, gracious.

Great tribute Piotr.

I had conversed with Tripp many times through PMs back when all the layoffs were happening in California. He seemed like a very caring guy, who was just broken over what was happening to his company.

Like many others I received a PM from him this past weekend. A very nice guy and I hope he has found the peace he was looking for. He did have some kind things to say about the site, which I had attempted to point out, but he said better than me:

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what a shame.

RIP Tripp.

Draft saved Draft deleted