1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP - The Love Boat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed a boatload of cheesy cameos.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't wprry.. in the last 15 minutes, everything will work out.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now what will Charro do?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

this woman is just like a journalist ... she's looking for a job:

[​IMG]

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bryant McKinnie and his collection of Vikings-themed dildos has a sad.

Oh, that Love Boat. Sorry.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

RIP Lido Deck and Crow's Nest Lounge. The Screw Canoe (Fuck Freighter etc.) will not be making another run.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hated the Love Boat. I had my mom and two older sisters (6 and 8 years older than me) and I was the little squirt of the house, and come Saturday night when I wanted to watch ANYTHING BUT the Love Boat, I was vetoed into oblivion. Every damned week. So I sat there sulking and watching that stupid show -- cuchi-cuchi -- and when it ended, everyone would clear out, at which point I'd have the TV to myself. The problem was that Fantasy Island immediately followed and that show scared the living shit out of me. I'd kind of watch the guests for the week getting off the plane, and listen to Mr. Roark describe who they were to Tattoo, and decide whether one of the fantasies was going to freak me out. Usually by 9:30, 10, it was past my bedtime anyhow, so it was immediately off to bed to have nightmares about the one creepy fantasy and the spooky music they put to it. Which gets me thinking. I was 9 or 10 at the time. I know the Love Boat was a ratings juggernaut. If you were old enough to do anything else on a Saturday night, were you considered a loser if you were sitting at home watching the Love Boat? And if not, WHY not?

As for the show itself, has there ever been a more poorly written, dumber TV show than the Love Boat -- I mean, at least one that was successful? Start with the theme song. We all know the words. But why? It is the biggest piece of dreck theme song ever put to a TV show. It makes the Brady Bunch seem like high art. Then there were the cameos. We all tuned in and watched what was essentially a pension plan for actors who hadn't had steady work in years. How much do you think Robert Reed or Vic Tayback got for an episode of the Love Boat?

Then there was the plot. I would have loved to have written for that show, at least as a lark. It had to be like doing a MadLib. Three men. Three women. They fall in love with each other. Some misunderstandings that conspire to keep them from falling in love. A scene in Puerto Vallarta. Gopher acts like a doof. Happy ending. And along the way, treated to Gain McLeod in short shorts, wholesome Julie McCoy who apparently was snorting away everything she earned on the show, and not having a clue that Fred Grandy was training himself to be a Congressman, which says everything we need to know about being a Congressman. And of course, 9 months later one of the cameo guests would show up again as a brand new character and my mom and two sisters would suspend all belief and roll with it.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If only the characters would have invested in gold instead of wasting their money on a stupid cruise.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nice summation Ragu. That was entertaining. I too remember those days.

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

It looks like a tugboat compared to pics I have seen of today's luxury liners. Wow. But I will bet anything, if it had had some of the emergencies recent liners have had, there would not have been the problems that the bigger ships' passengers have reported.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm a little younger than Ragu, but still old enough that we didn't have a lot of cable offerings. So when I was home sick from school, it was The Price Is Right and then The Love Boat. Good memories.

Also ... The ship’s sale came after its owner failed to pay a Genoa, Italy company about $7 million for asbestos removal and refurbishment, the newspaper said.

Check with Julie, but I don't think that was asbestos.

Draft saved Draft deleted