1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: The last Ramone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jul 12, 2014.

1. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

Drummer and producer Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of the influential New York punk quartet the Ramones, died Friday at his home in the Ridgewood area of Queens, New York. He was 62 and had been in hospice care following treatment for bile duct cancer.

2. vicd

vicd Member

I like to think the Ramones are telling Heaven's Band (Hendrix, Bonham, Entwistle, Lennon) that they are a bunch of boring, old farts. Then they bust into "Sheena is a Punk Rocker."
  3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

At least with Lennon they can say "this is how you're supposed to play it" and rip into "Do You Wanna Dance"
    (Lennon's version)
    (Ramones' version)
  4. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

RIP, Tommy.

RIP, Ramones.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Three of the four Ramones died of cancer. That seems counter to the law of averages.
  6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Now there are Ramnone.
  7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My introduction to the Ramones came when National Lampoon's Vacation came out and I wanted a copy of Blitzkrieg Bop, which they play early in the movie. Been a huge fan ever since.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Tommy Ramone could play several instruments by 16.
    I'm trying to recall anything worthwhile I did at/near that age.
    I mastered a video game or two, got to third base with "Sandra" and managed not to get killed in foolish ways that won't be detailed here.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I could barely drive when I was 16.
  10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Tommy was the accidental drummer. He wanted to manage and produce, but Joey (who originally was the drummer) couldn't keep up, so he stepped in. Tommy was more than happy to turn over the kit to Marky.

Sirius channel 41 (Faction) has been rerunning interviews Marky has done on his show with Tommy, and they're great.
  11. mr.westerberg

mr.westerberg Member

Saw the Ramones live six times - - but unfortunately never with Tommy. Instead, it was Marky or Richie. And it is sort of unreal that three original members died of cancer.
Draft saved Draft deleted