1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: The ex-Mrs. AlleyAllen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jan 26, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

:'(

Got an incredibly sad phone call from my ex-sister-in-law this morning. My first ex-wife, Ruthie, died suddenly from a coronary embolism early this morning.

Ruthie was an incredible and wonderful woman. Despite a rather large age difference (she was 13 years older than me) we were married for nine years, most of them absolutely wonderful. A former sailor and disabled veteran, like myself, she gave me so many wonderful memories during the early years of my adult life. And although we divorced, we had stayed friends the entire time, talking usually once every week or so.

We talked repeatedly during the conference championships because her beloved New York Giants were playing, and my sister and I were rooting for Green Bay, so the friendly barbs, calls and text messages flowed freely the entire evening.

A graduate of both the University of Connecticut and the University of Texas, Ruthie was a social worker, at one point employed by the House Veterans Affairs Committee and heading up a project to assist homeless veterans.

Although she never had children, she had so much family and love around her, and her closest sister was by her side when she died.

You never really know how you'll feel when news like this comes, and I certainly never expected it, but I'm surprised at just how stunned and devastated I am by this news. To know that I'll never hear her absolute Jersey girl attitude-filled voice again is a very saddening blow.

Good-bye Ruthie. Love you.

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Sorry for your loss AA.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and the Little Man.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My thoughts are with you and your son, AA. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. :(

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

That's really awful. I am so sorry. Best wishes.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn, Alley. I sure hate to hear that, man. Unexpected deaths are the hardest to take. For me, at least.

7. You honor her with that post, AA.
    All the best.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Sorry to hear the horrible news AA. Hang in there & may Ruthie rest in peace. :'(

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's so sad. But what a beautiful way to remember someone.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, AA. This stuff never is easy.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A good eulogy under horrible circumstances, Alley. My thoughts are with you.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Condolences, Double-A.

Draft saved Draft deleted