1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Dec 20, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

When I flew in DFW this week, we came in basically right over the top of Texas Stadium. While I've driven by it countless times, every time we've flown in we've circled from the other direction. With lights on in the joint, I have to say, it looked pretty cool.
    Knowing it's being held together with duct tape, though, yeah, I can see why they're tearing it down.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Played there in high school six or seven times -- games against our rival and playoff games couldn't be contained in our 10K regular stadium. I scored two touchdowns there, so that's pretty cool.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

RIP Wade Phillips coaching the Cowboys.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Maybe someone can bolt Phillips and Jones to the floor of the damn place when they push the button.

Jerry's World will not take with it the tradition of excellence of Landry and Johnson. Jerry's World will be a Taj Mahal Circus, complete with clowns.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

If anyone knows a link to the closing ceremony Saturday, I'd like to find it.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but as I said to my friend, those last few play calls in the 4th quarter ensured that Jason Garrett won't be the next head coach yet.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Wrigley also was featured in the opening credits of "Perfect Strangers" -- who could forget Balki inadvertently having his arm linked with Cousin Larry with the Wrigley marquee in the background?

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

My memories of Texas Stadium are, alas for this Cowboys fan(boi), pitiful.

I've went to "my Mecca" three times over the years. The Cowboys lost all three games.

Once on Monday Night Football to the Panthers in 1997 (I believe). Once to the Jets in 1999 (the only game the Cowboys lost at home that year) and once to the Bucs in 2001. The thing I remember most about the last loss was that as we were driving home (from where we stopped in Mississippi), the WTC was being destroyed by terrorists and let me tell you this, it was a long car ride home from Mississippi to Florida in a cramped car with three other people trying to figure out what exactly was going on and if one of my best friends on Earth was at the Pentagon when it got hit.

I'll miss the place. It truly is, and I don't think anyone can deny it, an iconic place.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My first game at Texas Stadium was the Pickle Juice game in 2000. An abject disaster all around for the Cowboys.

The turf temperature was 130ΒΊ at kickoff (it was still the old school rug), Philly opened the game by recovering an onside kick, prize free agent Joey Galloway tore an ACL, Aikman suffered his 11th concussion, backup Randall Cunningham was knocked out as well, and the Boys got waxed 41-13 in Campo's debut.

Good times.

Since then, I've covered a handful of Cowboys games, one college game and five or six high school games there. The place has really gone downhill in the last eight years β€” it could still be a real palace with some fixing up, but once JerryWorld became more than a dream, the city of Irving let it go to seed.

It's going to be blown up sometime in the next year or two so Irving can develop the property. And that's a shame, not only because of its historical and cultural significance, but also because its size makes it ideal for 5A high school football β€” there aren't many places large enough to hold a big game like the Carroll-Trinity one a few years ago.

The Cotton Bowl is out because it's grass and coaches don't like playing on it in November and December when there are turf fields to play on. Ford Field at SMU is close, but even a 30K stadium is too small for some of these games. I think Amon Carter (TCU) is grass as well, and it's in Fort Worth, which is not centrally located for the mega schools.

The new stadium in Arlington is supposed to be available for high schools, but the thing is so huge, the atmosphere will be lost. Unless they have a way of curtaining off the end zones and upper decks (they should, since they're hosting the Final Four.)

I won't say I will miss Texas Stadium, but there will be a hole in the Metroplex fabric where the hole in the roof used to be.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The place is a dump. Looks like the annual maintenance budget is about $5. You can't walk from the stadium to any bar or restaurant. Good riddance.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another favorite Texas Stadium moment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And he wonders why Cowboys fans haven't warmed up to him...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Get thee behind me in line then. I'm a Redskins fan, dammit!

Draft saved Draft deleted