1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I'm watching an NFL Network presentation of the last NFC championship game in that stadium, 1996. Knowing that this place was a palace before stadiums were known as palaces, I hate that it will be abandoned and blown to pieces soon...just as much as I hate that the Yankees would abandon the shrine that is the only Yankee Stadium, regardless of what the Sons of Steinbrenner call the new one. I wish JJ had done what Kansas City is doing with Arrowhead, though if I recall, Irving balked at a partnership to do that.

What will you miss, if anything, about Texas Stadium?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just wish the Cowboys would be on the field when they blow it up.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

No, because the marvelous thing about the new stadium is that it will house the joke that the franchise has become - not any of the great teams.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Ditto. Love the sidesaddle, by the way. Though I would've gone with "COVER ME, YOU LIMP DICK FUCKA!"

The problem with the new stadiums is that they're bigger, but the home field advantage is taken away as fans get farther from the field. What makes Arrowhead and the few places remaining like it so effective is 80,000, right on top of the action.

5. the 9 1/2-mile walk from press box to locker room?

which is why the Chiefs are 20-19 at home since 2004

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I hate the Cowboys...but I LOVE just about everything in regards to Texas Stadium.

The hole in the roof, the 'showiness' (is that a word?) of the place, at least from 1974 standards. That was the big picture for making the NFL true entertainment. It was the symbol of Texas Pride for decades, especially after the sensitive years in Dallas after November 22, 1963.

Love the shadows, the cameramen having to 'iris down' whenever Tony Dorsett or Emmitt Smith would run into the shadows. Love the Thanksgiving game at 3:30 under the stars. The cheesy, trumpet music that would pump in after Dallas first downs.

I even loved the fact that SMU played there during their corruption of the 1980s and that many high school state titles were played there.

Texas Stadium did not age gracefully, however. The last 10 years have been particularly ugly at the place but I think the Cowboys -- and Irving, Texas -- definitely got their money's worth from the place.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Never been to Texas Stadium, but have always been fascinated by it.

The hole in the roof sort of made it the predecessor to the retractable roof domes.

How many arenas were in the opening shots of a television show? Other than Texas Stadium and Dallas, I cannot think of any.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i won't miss that oh-so nasty smell on the sidelines

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I won't miss anything about the joint. I liked it in the 70's but it became antiquated very quickly. The exterior looks like a dump to me.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The good people of Cincinnati would like to dispute that claim: http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/palace.htm

Anyway, got to drive by it a couple of times but never went inside. Wish I would have because I love old stadiums with lots of history and Texas Stadium is certainly that.

That said, I share bigpern's sentiment about the team.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

As a Packers fan, I volunteer to dynamite that big bitch.

I lived in Dallas for a brief time in the 80s, right after Staubach retired and it was thought of in the same way one might think of a cathedral. I don't have the first-hand perspective of the 90s teams, but those 70s/early 80s Cowboys were treated like gods. I regret that I never made it there.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Somewhere, my old man, a die-hard Texan and unapologetic Cowboys loyalist, will be shedding a tear and saying "fuck you" to all of those Cowboys haters all over the world as they close the stadium down tonight. He remembers watching the 'Boys on TV, seeing the games at the Cotton Bowl, and then at Texas Stadium.

Those games at Texas Stadium, from its opening in '71, to him, was something special. Pearson, Staubach, Henderson, Dorsett, Clint Longley, the Redskins coming to town, and many other images is what made my dad's side of the family (all from Waco) gather in front of the television and root the Cowboys on.

Draft saved Draft deleted