1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Terry Hutchens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Have been praying for Terry & his family since hearing the news of the accident Tuesday.

Terry was working at the Indianapolis Star during my time as a student at IU. He befriended and served as a bit of a mentor to just about every student journalist who frequented the press boxes at Indiana. He currently teaches a sportswriting class at IUPUI. As good of a writer/reporter as Hutch is, he's a better person.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good to see Archie Miller acknowledge what has happened and offer encouraging words.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The football coach, Tom Allen, did the same via Twitter. Hutch's spot on press row was reserved for him Wednesday, as was his working space in the Assembly Hall media room.

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Terry Hutchens passed away today:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My age. So sorry to hear. Lost one of my junior high friends this week as well. All the best to his family as they deal with their loss.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Dammit....

8. sporty

sporty Member

I am completely floored by this one. I found out that Hutch died this morning while editing an obit column on his death. Hutch was at one point competitor, then colleague during our Indianapolis Star/News days and also a friend. He was hard to read early on but as you got to know him he was a great guy and always willing to help. He will definitely be missed. Prayers to his family, who he cherished so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted