1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Teofilo Stevenson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/11/4554610/official-olympic-boxer-teofilo.html

He won three gold medals for Cuba. Probably the best amateur boxer of all time.

2. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I often wondered how he would have fared, had he faced the top heavyweights of his time.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

RIP. I, too, wondered what might have been.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think he'd have won the heavyweight title for two reasons: 1. He had very quick hands IIRC, plus he was always in superb condition. 2. The heavyweight division at that time (late 70s-early 80s) was not particularly challenging. Larry Holmes was the only really good heavyweight I can remember from that era.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not a boxing fan, but one of the best I've ever watched. Cat quick, no fat.... RIP

6. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

The obit mentions that there were those who wanted to see him fight Ali, but that Cuban officials wanted him to retain his amateur status. Now that would have been a fight to see.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I sure wish he had fought Ali. Would have been a classic.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, agreed. That would have been a fight for the ages. Funny that Ali lived longer.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ali beat some of the finest pro heavyweights in history, guys like Frazier, Foreman and Liston, he would have beaten the best amateur heavyweight too. I always thought Felix Savon, who also won three Olympic golds, had all it took to be a great pro too.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Having seen Stevenson up close in 1992 when he coached Cuba's boxing team at the Olympics, I can say he wasn't as big as Ali, or at least as broad as Ali, and that would've been a considerable handicap.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

IMHO, Stevenson, in his prime, was as close as a heavyweight could get to being called pound-for-pound the best boxer around. That's usually reserved for the lower-weight guys, but this guy was amazing.

RIP.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Only needed his jab to drop guys.
    He was happy to not make 8 million dollars...rather he made 8 million Cubans proud.
    And you could barely see Castro's lips move when Stevenson said that.

Draft saved Draft deleted