1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Teddy Pendergrass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And the quiet storm gets a little quieter.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My family was huge Teddy fans, including me. Loved him. My two all-time faves is "You're My Latest, Greatest Inspiration" and "Heaven Only Knows." I would run around the damn house on a spring Saturday afternoon as my old man would turn on his record player, connected to an amplifier that fed the wire to the speakers in the basement, put the needle on the record, and Teddy would blow thru the house like it was a live concert.

When he was with HM and the Blue Notes, the extended version of "I Miss You" is pure gold and "Bad Luck" should be an anthem for anyone who's having bad luck and couldn't seem to shake it.

As my dad would say about Teddy Pendergrass: "Teddy is a bad motherfucker."

I never second-guessed him.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

CBS Sports, IIRC, went from Barrett to Vandross, then Teddy, then back to Vandross the year he died.
    Let's go back to Teddy - his version was the best.
    Or give, say, John Legend a crack at it.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Man, he scared the bitches into liking him.

Another great person behind the sound of Philadelphia is silenced. RIP.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

At least we've still got Billy Paul.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are still many outstanding performers with PI roots still kicking it. From Patti LaBelle to Hall and Oates (yes, they used do background work there and little known fact was that Darryl Hall used to be a Journalism major at Temple University).
    Teddy actually became the lead singer when Gamble and Huff couldn't get the Dells baritone lead singer Marvin Junior to leve the group. If you listen to the keys, Pendergrass sings in the same range.
    Another great Teddy Pendergrass tune with the Blue Notes is "Where are all my friends" a song many can relate to.
    As a solo artist, I've always been partial to "Cold,Cold World," the lyrics and melody is outstanding. Guys, check out "Come on over to my place." If you can't catch any woman, 8-to-80, blind crippled or crazy by uttering those lyrics over drinks, then you need to turn in your man card at once.

7. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

RIP. I heard "Bad Luck" by the Blue Notes on the XM a couple of days ago...In the current financial straits most people are in, the song still has resonance.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

So, so true.

Draft saved Draft deleted