1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Teddy Pendergrass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Eddie Murphy was a tremendous Teddy P fan. Referred to his work in his stand-up routines and of course used his song in the Nutty Professor.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man, what a blow. Love TKO. RIP.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A brief clip of Eddie Murphy's Delirious on Teddy P:

EDIT: Here's the whole routine on singers and, um, their ability to drive women crazy. (NSFW language, obviously).

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

His opening lines of The Love I Lost are as good as it gets and perfectly epitomize 70s Philly soul.

RIP to a legend, who like some of his peers (Curtis Mayfield jumps immediately to mind), was cut down before his time due to unfortunate circumstances.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Teddy P was it. I played Love TKO about 15 times in a row last night. Just an absolute shame. RIP to one of the best in R&B history.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff knew they had a sex magnet and a tremendous talent. But Teddy also knew he had star quality. Proof of that was that he was still a touring talent after getting hurt in 1982.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I knew Teddy was involved with the song in some way.
    He sang the song for a stretch, but Luther V. eventually took hold of the torch.

Here is a bit of the wikipedia description of "One Shining Moment"

Notable artists to sing One Shining Moment

David Barrett was the original artist, but CBS has also broadcast remakes by Teddy Pendergrass (1994-1999) and Luther Vandross (2003-present). It is believed to be the last song Vandross recorded before his stroke and subsequent death.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I always thought Harold Melvin was lead singer of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.

The extended version of The Love I Lost is terrific.

RIP

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I always wondered why groups would bother to list a featured performer if that performer is not the lead singer.

The only instance I can think of where it made any sense at all is Paul Revere and the Raiders, and they only featured Revere's name because it was too good a gimmick to not use.

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Melvin was the original lead singer. And this is from Wikipedia so take it for what's it worth:

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

To me, this is a good example of how the mind plays tricks on you, especially if you're in your mid-50s like me.

I was actually a little surprised when I saw this about Teddy Pendergrass, because I'd thought he'd died several years ago. The mention of Luther Vandross makes me think I may have had the two men confused.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of R&B and 70s soul, but Pendergrass did have a smooth voice, and he showed great courage in continuing to perform after his accident.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I also thought he had died. Turns out I was thinking of Curtis Mayfield - I had my paralyzed black R&B singers mixed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted