1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ted Kennedy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by azom, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If they ran a pic from the 80s-90s, they wouldn't have had to mention it. :D

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read an article in Esquire, I think, a few years back that speculated that without Chappaquiddick, Teddy would have won the presidency in 1976, wouldn't have shit the bed like Carter did, won re-election in 1980, and Reagan never would have been elected.

It was an interesting read to say the least...

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why/How would you mention that in an Obit. Many like to drink. He was never arrested for anything related to drinking. Would you write "in his later years Ted loved a bottle or two of Chivas a day."

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you grew up during the Kennedy era, you knew --without a doubt--that Teddy would have singlehandedly won the Presidency except for Chappaquiddick.

This, from the NYTimes obit, seven web pages. This is from the first page.

He was a Rabelaisian figure in the Senate and in life, instantly recognizable by his shock of white hair, his florid, oversize face, his booming Boston brogue, his powerful but pained stride. He was a celebrity, sometimes a self-parody, a hearty friend, an implacable foe, a man of large faith and large flaws, a melancholy character who persevered, drank deeply and sang loudly. He was a Kennedy.

Larger than life.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is why the state of the newspaper industry is so sad. Local TV news is pathetic. All happy talk and/or the big crime story. No actual reporting. Without newspapers, I'm not even sure where they'll get their news from.

Local TV news can't do in depth, and they can't/won't be the government watchdog that newspapers are.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It sure would have been interesting to find out. It would have been even more interesting to see him pitted against a charismatic conservative figure like Reagan.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dam - that is one hell of a paragraph. Thanks for posting JR.

8. Everything he did Post-Mary Jo was fruit of the poison tree. No one else--but the privileged few--would have a chance of keeping such a prestigious position like he did for the next 40 years. Heck, he was even kicked out of Harvard for cheating--only to be let back in. Mary Jo was indeed unavailable for comment today, just as Teddy was on July 18th/19th 1969.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just substitute the name Teddy for Freddie and there is another hit record.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I agree with you on criminal charges for Chappaquidick.

As for holding his senate seat, that was up to Massachusetts voters. They could have voted him out of office the same way Alaskans voted Ted Stevens out of office last year and New Orleans voters sent Dollar Bill Jefferson packing last December and Chicago North Siders ousted Dan Rostenkowski in 1994. But they didn't. Massachusetts voters elected to keep him. Other than his first election, he won every election by at least 17 points and only one by fewer than 20.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll bet a few shekels this thing gets padlocked before sundown.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

THAT is the big holy-shit moment right there for me. That's not just before I was born, it's before my dad was born. Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.