1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ted Kennedy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by azom, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

LOL.

Chappaquiddick will be in EVERY obit.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Really?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Chappaquiddick sunk him in 1980, so of course it would have done so in 1976

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kennedy was one of the few statesmen, not politicians, remaining. We need more people like him on both sides of the aisle.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was 13 when JFK was assissinated and 19 when Bobby was murdered.

Even though I'm a Canadian, the family seems to have been part of my political landscape for almost fifty years .

RIP to a great man from a family only Shakespeare could have invented.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Kennedy got things done because people understood he was coming from a position of deeply held beliefs. Most politicians on both sides are willing to compromise too much because they don't believe enough in what they're doing, and when that is the case, nothing really gets accomplished.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To tell you how eerie this feels. I was catching up with what was going on here before heading to bed at 11:15 CDT. The story broke ten minutes later. I just learned about this 5 minutes ago after waking up and I'm stunned beyond belief.

Yes, we can't dismiss Chappaquiddick, the family tragedies, or his politics whether we disagreed with them or lauded them. But right now, this morning, the reaction of his death is the main story. His life and legacy will be discussed as the days progress.

Teddy was the U.S. Senate. The White House may have been his goal and his dreams, but the Senate is where he made the biggest impact. Moving major legislation, showing younger Senators how things are being done, who to go to for help, et cetera.

Ted Kennedy lived an extraordinary life, good and bad. Teddy lived the life that Joe Jr., Kathleen, Jack, and Bobby tragically never got to have and fulfill.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thank you... RIP Mary Jo...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's interesting... I watched the local news this morning and both ran roughly five-minute obit pieces on Teddy...

One mentioned Chappaquiddick and the scandal with his nephew. The other made no mention of it.

Neither of the channels was Fox. I just thought that was interesting. It's like running Nixon's obit without mentioning Watergate.

RIP Teddy...

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That is true. Sometimes, however, you have to make some concessions, whether you like doing it or not. It's called finding a common ground. Teddy wasn't afraid to stick to his guns, and was able to relate and work with his opponents for what is right, and for the best interests of their constituents.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Disagreed with almost everything he said but Teddy was one of the great orators of our time. I think he would have been a great President. RIP

11. The AP obit I saw this morning had it deep ... deep in the story.
    And no mention of his drinking ...

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a great senator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.